Chapter 9: The Beast And The Swan

CHAPTER 9

THE BEAST AND THE SWAN

"It wasn't really the eel venom that made you crazy enough to take on a bull-troll, was it?"

Isaac sighed and looked at the cup of freshly squeezed orange juice in his hand. He was currently in the infirmary with Neil sitting on the mat across from him. All the others affected by the eel venom were currently asleep away from the two.

"No, not entirely," the prince responded, taking a sip from the cup aa he tried not to wince at the memories. "Osyren didn't take over my body either... He just... convinced me to do it and as I wasn't exactly in my right mind I went along with it."

Neil nodded and drank from his cup thoughtfully. "Aurora told me it was both scary and funny at the same time. Especially when you basked in your victory." he smirked. "I bet that was all you,"

Isaac felt his face flame. "No it wasn't!" he hissed so as not to wake the others. "A prince must show modesty and -"

"Yeah, yeah," Neil waved a dismissive hand. "But I remember when we were kids and you won those chariot races, you'd always rub it in and boast about your abilities." he let out a silent chuckle. "Deep down, that part of you is still in there."

"It shouldn't be," Isaac mumbled.

The tent flapped and in stepped two healers and Aurora.

"How are you holding up?" she asked them as the healers refilled their cups and went to tend to the others.

"Better," Isaac replied, though he still felt mildly embarrassed at his actions.

Neil nodded then furrowed his brows. "Where's Raine?"

"The governor wanted to give her a personal tour of his palace to impress her," Aurora replied while rolling her eyes. "I swear it's like he is in love with her - keeps calling her his swan."

Isaac swore he caught Neil clench his fists tight.

"By the way, you two might want to prepare yourselves for the feast," she went on. "We are expected to leave for the palace pretty soon."

Neil groaned while Isaac looked thoughtful. He knew he couldn't allow the governor to get too attatched to Raine, however, he didn't want to offend the man on his home grounds. He didn't need to have another delay on his hands.

After he and Neil had finished their drinks they left the indirmary feeling considerably better and they joined Aurora, Callie, Arty, Ram, Obed and Kadi with their escorts standing by camels packed and ready to head to the palace.

Isaac noticed the terrain was mostly sand with the occassional palm tree and light vegetation. The light bricks made of the same white sand was used to construct the buildings which were very similar to the ones in Phitumari.

Even though the sun was setting, the view of what he could see of Tormanta Island was remarkable.

"Are we seriously riding these wannabe horses?" Neil asked, eyeing the camel with distaste.

"They're called camels, you half-wit," Arty grinned at him as he mounted his camel with ease.

Isaac huffed and stared at his own camel that appeared to be completely bored of the situation. He then looked to Callie who had help from one of the robed escorts.

He still hadn't forgotten about how she had evaded the mermaids and he was more determined than ever to find out.

"I hope you don't mind us joining you, Captain," Obed said timidly holding his daughter who was too busy staring dreamily at Neil.