Bonus Chapter: Rogue Descendants

No one is born a hero. That is one important aspect most people tend to forget.

It came as a shock of course when the son of the heroic Dragon Prince turned out to be quite the opposite.

Prince Darius Verdane was anything but the picture of charming hero.

Then again, neither was his father at the time, but such actions could be overlooked given his current status.

"Is that the best you got?" the young prince taunted, taking up his fighting stance and grinning at his opponent. "I thought you'd be more of a challenge,"

The poor knight who was quivering in his boots shakily picked up his fallen sword and faced the unarmed prince.

Darius was only eighteen but exceeded in combat in a way that intimidated his soldiers. He inherited most of his mother's features including his dark hair and olive skin but his somewhat wicked smile was almost akin to that of the dangerous Captain Henry Morgan, his late grandfather.

Still, on his best days, he did share similar traits with his father.

Darius motioned for the knight to strike again. With a gulp, the slightly older man charged at the prince, striking with practiced aim but missed his target entirely.

With a swift dodge by dropping to his knees, Darius swept the knight's feet from under him and launched an uppercut to the man's jaw.

The others watching from the training courts winced in unison as the knight went flying, his sword along with him.

"Who's up next?" Darius asked, perspiration lining his brow as he breathed heavily.

Not one of the knights spoke, save for a few awkward coughs and shuffled feet.

"Your Highness,"

All eyes turned to the new comer who was a girl with jet-black hair and a calm expression.

Darius took up his stance. "You wish to duel?" She did wear the uniform of a knight in training.

She wrinkled her nose and shook her head. "No, your father requested for you to meet him in the East Tower. I'm just delivering the message,"

With a heavy sigh, he rolled his shoulders and nodded. He could train again later.

A collective sigh went through the knights but was completely replaced with horror once the prince informed them that Lady Aurora would be taking over.

He couldn't very well leave them to goof off now, could he?

Following the silent girl to the tower, he briefly recalled that it had been turned into a laboratory which held various means of slaying goblins, denizens, arachnae and other dark creatures.

A grin lit up his face. Maybe he could use some of those new toys on those monsters.

Once they reached the tower, a guard opened the door for them and Darius let out a low whistle at the different gadgets and doodads that surrounded the large room.

"Darius," the deep tone of his father snapped his attention to the people in the room.

A dark-skinned woman with wild curls tied back with a bandana was holding up a few pieces of parchment with a quill in one hand. Next to her was the blonde girl he'd seen around the castle who always had her head stuck in a book.

Darius turned to his father.

"I have received word of a goblin attack and will be travelling to the Northern Boarders with Osyren for a while," King Isaac stated. "If anything happens, I trust you with the care of the Capital while I'm away,"