Chapter 19: Some Things Are Worth Fighting For

CHAPTER 19

SOMETHINGS ARE WORTH FIGHTING FOR

"I admit, I didn't expect you to come so willingly," the goblin chuckled. "But it does not matter to me. After years of trying to destroy these scales - using both replicas of dragon blades, that Fayne woman and this girl gifted with fairy magic!" he shook his horned head. "And here you are, about to make my wildest dreams come true,"

Isaac glared at the goblin while he unsheathed Osyren. In a flash, two goblins had held each of his arms from either side of him, preventing any movement.

"It doesn't matter if we humans can't harness the power of magic," Isaac told him. "Or that you won't burn to ashes in the sunlight. You will still have weaknesses and we will still fight with everything we have,"

"How noble," the goblin tsked. Then he held the scales in front of the prince, the runes glowing with a golden glow of power.

"Don't do it," Megan cried feebly.

But Isaac already knew what he had to do. It was probably the worst thing he could have done - craziest even. But if he didn't break the curse, who knows what else these goblins were capable of?

Someone had to do it eventually.

With a deep breath, and a silent prayer of hope, he swung at the fused scales.

Osyren pulsed with blue fire and around him, gold and blue sparks swirled with a powerful wind. He jammed the blade further into the scales and sent a shockwave of magic around the cave, and a beam of golden magic to the sky.

The cave wall disintegrated as the golden beam burned through it. Another more powerful shockwave vibrated the walls and and caused a mild earthquake.

Isaac watched as the scales cracked in two before completely breaking apart and crumbling into dust. Osyren pulsed a searing blue before the blade flew out of his grasp as the final shockwave completely destroyed the walls of the cave and could almost be felt from all corners of the earth.

Pushing fragments of rock and debris from his body, Isaac could make out random golden light trails leading from various points on the earth to the darkened night sky.

His own amulet let out a thin light trail and his right arm tingled as his mark vanished. He marvelled for a moment as the sky seemed to crack with thunder and lightning and slowly got to his feet, ignoring his aching body.

"Brothers!" He heard the main goblin's raspy voice cry. "Tonight we are freed of the sun curse. Let us make an example of those pitiful humans!"

Roars and cheers sounded and Isaac looked over the cave's edge to see the goblins rushing in a blur of black movement towards the north western boarder of his kingdom.

A curse cut his panicked thoughts and he saw Aurora getting to her feet and pulling Raine and Neil up beside her.

"Dungbeetles is right," Raine agreed with a wince. "We have to stop them,"

Isaac heard something crack from behind him and ducked just as what looked like a grappling hook sailed past his head.

The thin rope grew taut before retracting into Scorpion's fancy arm guard.

Was that why they called him so?

A dagger flew past his face and struck the mercenary in the side. Aurora rushed at him and tried to fight him off. They danced around each other in a series of high kicks, punches and dodges.

Without having much time to think, Isaac got to his feet and nearly screamed in sheer agony as something sharp pierced his arm. A goblin cackled next to him and retracted its claws. It had made to strike again when he blocked it with a rock.