Chapter 5: Who Knew It Was So Easy To Start A Bar Fight?

CHAPTER 5

WHO KNEW IT WAS SO EASY TO START A BAR FIGHT?

“It’s not that difficult!”

“But it is humiliating!”

“Come on, it’s not that bad.”

“I refuse to lower myself to perform such a task.”

Isaac glared daggers at Callista for insisting he scrub the deck and needless to say, all within hearing distance were greatly amused. With the afternoon sun of the new day beating down on them all as they worked, the entertainment proved a great distraction.

Callie bent down to pick up the brush and pail, her hat tipping forward slightly with the movement. Isaac only crossed his arms when she handed him the equipment.

“Absolutely not,” he persisted, deftly ignoring Osyren’s guffaws.

“How about if I say please?” she flashed him an innocent smile. “Pretty please?”

“No,”

“Come on, I’ll never have an opportunity like this again,” she whined.

“Gangway!”

Callie and Isaac stepped aside just as Aurora and Raine ran past them, mops sliding across the deck.

“See?” Callie insisted, pointing at the lady-knights. “It’s fun too.”

Having relived the previous night’s memories, Isaac was pretty sure he’d forgotten how to have fun without the constant nagging thought of looking a fool. It was bad enough Artemesio had caught him telling off Osyren earlier and having a difficult time coming up with an excuse as to who he was talking to.

He simply shook his head and narrowed his eyes. “I can take a shift in the crow’s nest but not even you can make me get down on my knees and perform the work of a servant.”

Callie rolled her eyes. “It’s a good thing you’re paying me.” She said, gesturing for one of her crew members to take the brush and pail of water. “Otherwise you’d be swimming your way to shore.”

That remark reminded him of how she’d made him and his knights listen to Jed the boatswain instruct them on the proper way to swim against the waves if ever they fell into the frigid depths of the ocean. He hadn’t wanted to at first but the boatswain had insisted that it was a common occurrence especially during a powerful storm that rocked the ship. It was that statement that made Isaac slightly appreciative that the captain bothered to help them as most wouldn’t even care. Isaac had said something of the sort to which she had replied; “Don’t worry about it. Just making sure you don’t die on me.”

To which he hadn’t a clue how to respond.