14. Before the clock strikes twelve

Maddy's POV

Maddy's POV

The sun had set and the sky was now a dark blue. The stars were shining bright and the moon was illuminating the sea while the midsummer festival was in full swing. 

I was dancing with Wheezie and Sarah, Mia and Scarlette were somewhere else and even though I was kind of mad at Sarah, I tried to push the thought away and just enjoy the time.

I was drunk but it was still maintainable, even if my parents couldn't care less about me, they never wanted me to be completely wasted at an event like that.

My father had excused himself and had told me that dancing with him this year was impossible, he had better things to do. It hurt at first to hear him say that he didn't want to dance with me but at this point, I was used to it.

The three of us were dancing while we kept sipping on our drinks, my head was feeling fuzzy and my entire body was warm from the dancing and the alcohol of course.

I let my head fall back, letting the music take control of my body, it guided my every move with its soft rhythms. The semi-warm air stroked my skin once in a while, giving me goosebumps.

The night had fallen over the scene when one of the servers came up to Sarah and placed his back against her, handing her a small piece of paper.

"JJ?", my best friend asked confused turning towards the familiar boy with blonde hair. My eyes immediately snapped upwards, looking at the handsome boy.

My stomach sunk a little as I noticed the large blue eye he had marking his face, as well as the busted lip. For some reason, I couldn't remember these big bruises on JJ's face last night.

"I got, uh, a note from Vlad", he explained with a smirk, I looked at the pair in front of me confused. Who the fuck was Vlad?

"From- from Vlad?", Sarah asked, her eyes clearly lightning up, while JJ danced along with her.

"Yeah", JJ giggled before placing his hands on my hips, "Just read the note".

Sarah turned away and read the note from this 'Vlad' person. JJ's fingers didn't leave my sides as he moved us slowly with the beat.

"Who is Vlad?", I asked him confused.

"Ask Sarah, princess. I wanted to apologize to you, what I said yesterday at the movies wasn't right and I hate myself for saying those words. I'm sorry, Maddy", he explained before twirling me around and catching me close to his body again.

"It's fine, JJ. I'm over it, did Rafe or Leo do this to you?", I asked my hand slowly stroking over the purple-blue marks on his face.

JJ flinched slightly before looking at me with sad eyes, "No, it was my dad. Topper told his mom about the boat and they wanted to arrest Pope but he's the golden boy so I had to take the blame on me".