32. It's gonna be epic

Maddy's POV 

Maddy's POV 

"Okay so, we are here for you today, we have some liquor in Scarlette's locker hidden away if you need any", Mia explained to me as soon as I stepped foot onto the school ground.

 Today was the day that I was dreading the most, the first school day. Usually, Sarah and I would come to school together on the first day and skip the last class to go and get Frozen Yogurt, it had been a tradition for years now and this year would be the first year without it. 

"Thanks", I muttered as I started walking towards my locker with my two 'friends' following right behind me. 

I was wearing my school uniform which consisted of a checkered mini-skirt and a white polo. I dressed it up with baby pink heels and a baby pink headband. I had decided that if I would dress up people might not be asking stupid questions, that I was way too tired to answer anyway. 

"You look hot by the way", Scarlette rambled as we came to a hold in front of my locker. 

I nodded slowly before I opened the metal door of my locker, it was just the usual locker, a few photos hung up, a small mirror, and a ton of textbooks. My eyes fell onto the photo that was hung right above the mirror, it was a photo of Sarah and I. We took it last year on the first day of school at the frozen yogurt shop. She was grinning widely into the camera while I was sucking on my spoon. 

"Oh Maddy, we can uhm", Mia started trying to get a grip of the photo. 

"No, No, it's fine. It's my favorite picture of us", I explained sadly, my voice immediately became raspy and I could feel the lump forming in my throat once again. 

I glanced over at the picture one more time, Sarah might not be here anymore but I was and I still had a reputation to keep up. I felt the two girls' eyes on me so I quickly cleared my throat and let my eyes drop to the mirror. 

I reapplied my lipstick and fixed my hair, this was who I was meant to be, at least for as long as I still had to go to school. 

"Anyways, what's our first period?", I asked turning around to look at the two. 

"Uhm Maths", Mia explained quickly looking it up on her phone. 

Our school was different from the rest of the schools in Outer Banks, not only was it a private school but it was also ruled by money like the rest of the island. If you had money your grades were good immediately and you were always with the same people because the richest were with the richest while the medium students were with the medium-rich students. 

"Good", I answered grabbing my textbook and handing it over to Mia. I know I looked like a total cunt now but that was who I was before this summer changed my whole personality. 

The three of us started walking down the hallway and it felt like all these people were watching me. God, I wished Sarah was here. 

"We heard you were with Rafe after the funeral, are you back together?", Scarlett asked. "Scarlette shut up", Mia quickly hushed the girl.