Chapter 29 - The talk

I saw Xavier's name on the screen

I saw Xavier's name on the screen. I hesitated for a moment before answering, knowing that it was likely about yesterday's family meeting.

"Hey, Xavier," I said, trying to sound casual despite the tension still lingering in the air.

His voice on the other end sounded apologetic. "I just wanted to say I'm sorry for yesterday, lil sis. It got out of hand, and you didn't deserve that."

I took a deep breath, feeling a mix of emotions. Xavier was the only brother I could tolerate, and despite our differences, he had always been there for me.

"It's okay," I replied, trying to sound forgiving.

Xavier let out a relieved sigh. "Thanks for understanding. You know how they can be sometimes."

I chuckled softly, "Oh, believe me, I know."

There was a moment of silence between us, and I could sense that he genuinely felt bad about the whole situation.

"I don't want things to be like this between us," Xavier finally said, sounding sincere. "We're family, and family should have each other's backs."

"You're right. I don't want things to be like this either."

"We'll figure it out, okay?" he said, and for the first time in a while, I felt a glimmer of hope that maybe things could improve between me and my family.

"Yeah, we will," I replied, feeling a sense of relief. "Thanks for calling, Xavier."

"Anytime, lil sis," he said warmly. "Take care, and I'll talk to you soon."

I ended the call with a small smile, grateful for the olive branch Xavier had extended. Maybe, just maybe, there was a chance for healing and understanding among us.

I then walked around the room trying to do something, to find something interesting. My eyes landed on a slightly open drawer, and curiosity got the best of me. I approached it and pulled it open, revealing documents neatly arranged inside. My heart skipped a beat as I realized that these were related to the Russian mafia.

I sifted through the papers, my mind racing. As I was engrossed in reading, Ace's voice cut through the air, startling me.

"What are you doing?"

I looked up to find him standing there, his expression a mix of surprise and anger. Panic surged through me as I quickly placed the documents back in the drawer, my cheeks turning crimson.

"I-I'm sorry," I stammered, guilt and embarrassment washing over me. "It was open and I.....I was just... curious."

He let out a frustrated sigh, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Alessa, I told you that some things are better left alone."

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have gone through your things."

His anger seemed to intensify, his eyes narrowing. "Damn it, Alessa. This isn't a game, Do you know what information these documents have?"

I felt a surge of frustration rise within me as he spoke. "No, I don't because you don't tell me things because you think I'm some fragile doll that needs to be protected from everything."

His voice grew louder, his tone sharp. "You don't understand, Alessa. This isn't a world you can just walk into without consequences."

I clenched my fists, my own anger flaring. "And what? You get to decide what I can and can't handle? What I need is my boyfriend not keeping secrets from me."

He stepped forward, his eyes flashing with anger, and I flinched back, my heart racing. The  In that moment, he looked like the mafia boss he truly was, and it genuinely terrified me.

Anger was soon replaced by pain and he took a step back, running his hand through his hair.

 "Dammit, fuck," he muttered.

Before I could say anything, he turned and left the room, the door shutting behind him with a resounding thud. 

The silence that followed was deafening, the emptiness of the room mirroring the hollowness I felt inside. There was only one thing going on in my head.

What.just.happened?

------------------------------------------------------------

Short chapter but im like trying to complete some chapters before my exams

K bye

🖤💋