Peaceful Day

Clint's pov.

I was sitting on the bench in our yard, my head taken over by the memory of Nat kicking herself off the cliff. My heart shattered once more when I recalled the whole scene again.

Nat had sacrificed herself for me, for my family, so that we could reunite. My nose stung a little by her selflessness. It was all thanks to her, that my children could have a complete family. I must make Nat be proud of them, I know she loved them.

Lila was standing ten metres from the tree, practicing her aim at the boss (name for an archery target). I stared at her in my lost thoughts, but I could still see how she closed one eye everytime she attempted. She was very focused and dedicated, wanting to be like me one day. She smiled and waved at me when she hit the bullseye. I'm proud of her.

Cooper and Nathan were playing catch with the baseball

Cooper and Nathan were playing catch with the baseball. I couldn't believe the talent Nathan had in him, even as a five year old, he was good at timing. He caught the ball with the oversized glove which was as big as his head, and Cooper gave a thumbs up to him from a distance, and prasied him with a "nice shot, pal". Cooper was such a nice brother.

My cheeks were in my hands, lazily leaning on the table

My cheeks were in my hands, lazily leaning on the table. The days are peaceful after Thanos had vanished, though it might get a little monotonous and boring undoubtedly. The rest of the Avengers planned to return the stones back in 3 days, as we all needed a short rest. Nothing would possibly go wrong with the stones gone anyway, as we'll be returning the stones at the time right after we got it from the guardians last time. But, a promise is a promise.

Laura's pov.

I was in the kitchen, preparing some sandwiches for those big and small kids. I got out the bread, cut them in half, and went for the refrigerator. I was surprised to find the place where the jam should be to be empty, and searched the other compartments to be sure. Nothing came out of it, so I just switched the spread to peanut butter. It would be the right food for replenishing their energy.

I put them in plates and walked outside the house, towards the picnic table

I put them in plates and walked outside the house, towards the picnic table. I saw Clint staring at the kids, but his eyes seemed lost.

"Hey kids, the big one included! Snack's ready!" I called, trying to get Clint 'awake'.

"PEANUT BUTTER SANDWICHES!" Cried Nathan. Lila giggled while she paced to the table. Cooper threw the ball he was about to let Nathan catch on the grass, I suppose they all love it.

Clint was still had his cheeks in his hands, a little indifferent. I tapped him on the shoulder, "Hey hun, um, peanut butter sandwiches?"

"Yea sure, thanks Laura."

"Don't stress yourself, okay? I know the mission cannot fail, but don't always lose yourself in it."

"I guess so," he mumbled, then grabbed a sandwich. He took a bite and held it in front of his eyes, asking, "Peanut butter sandwiches?"

"Yea, I thought you heard me."

"Oh yea."

I felt a bit disappointed that he didn't notice anything at all, but after Nat died, he had always been like that, lost in thoughts.

I sat down on the picnic bench, and grabbed my portion. The kids had already taken theirs and found it fun to eat while walking around. So there were just me and Clint.

I took a bite on the food.

Oh yes. Peanut butter sandwiches. How could I forget?

Memories suddenly flooded my head, the ones with Nat. Everytime she came, I made sure I'd prepared a peanut butter sandwich for her. She had always been very grateful for that.

The kids also loved her. I remember them out in the yard practicing fighting moves, whereas Nat was the teacher. The kids were clumsy, and no one, even Nat, could bear the humour it brought. She enjoyed teaching them, showing love, care, and dedication. She was a great woman.

I sighed at the fact that she's gone now, and took another bite. I found it hard to swallow as I had a lump in the throat from the loss. I sniffed and exhaled.

I looked at Clint, who was almost nibbling the sandwich like a mouse. I was sure he was still thinking of Nat, it was great trauma. I got up and went to him, and patted his shoulder. I left him in peace for while, as I knew I still couldn't quite get over it. He needed some space.

Clint's pov.

I felt a reassuring pat on the shoulder, and saw Laura going back into the house. I'm glad she always knew what I had in mind, she's a wife which any man needed, very thoughtful.

And indeed, the peanut butter sandwich reminded me even more about Nat, but I'm sure Laura didn't do that on purpose.

It was me who let the kids eat the jam from the jar last week when we were watching a movie. We had lots of fun when Laura was asleep, as she didn't let the kids stay up too late.

I looked around to spot the kids, and found them near the tap outside the house. Nathan was trying to twist the tap, but it didn't budge, so Cooper leaned forward and turned it on for him with some force. Lila was showing Nathan how to wash his hands thoroughly, her hands rubbing together, and cleaning her finger soles with soap. Nathan mimicked his sister and giggled at the tiny bubbles he formed. He tried to catch them, but I saw his surprised face when he opened his hands. The kids, they are adorable. I wished Nat could see them grow up, like how much they would want to spend time with her.