Courage

Steve's pov.

Nat's head was gently resting on my chest, occasionally sniffing and sobbing. It was peaceful, though. Her eyes were comfortably closed, her mouth twitching between smiling and crying.

I didn't want to break our moment, but I tried, "Nat... I promised Dr Cho to call her once you wake up," I brushed her hair gently, "besides... I have something to say."

She opened her mouth to exhale, and looked at me,"Yes, Steve?"

At that second, our eyes gazed into each others'. I smiled slightly. But I wasn't sure what Nat felt by her look. She seemed to freeze briefly, and breathed in mildly. Then she trailed her eyes down.

I gulped a little, figuring my next move.

"Alright let me make a call," I decided, loosening the embrace then took my phone out and dialed Cho.

"She's coming in 3 minutes," I told Nat after i had finished, "don't worry, you aren't injured so it's probably just gonna be a health check."

She nodded and looked at me, her eyes staring into mine. Then I remembered, I had something to say.

I sighed awkwardly, trying to organise what I was about to say. Dear lord I couldn't, the feelings... I wasn't sure if I should tell her. It might make our friendship awkward. But what, I told her I had something to tell her. Would I just say nevermind after she prepared herself to listen to me? That is weird.

I inhaled, but the air was stuck in my throat, the words alike. My mouth was open like an idiot. Realising that, I closed it some seconds later, baring my teeth with an awkward smile.

I took a glance at Nat, who had her eyebrows a little furrowed, then quickly shifted my eyes away from her. I hesitated.

"Hey, Steve," she said softly, "you had... something to say?"

"Yes," I replied as if I was an interviewee.

She pursed her lips and bit it, showing her anticipation.

I tried to keep my cool by leaning back on the chair. I tried to act normal to make up for the weirdness and keep things smooth.

"So um... Nat," I started, then paused. She nodded her head down and looked at me. I breathed, then continued, "You know... how you asked me, what I wanted you to be, nine years ago? I remember it, till now."

"What is it Steve?"

"I said you would be a friend."

"You did? I could barely remember those days," she sighed, but smiled.

"In that case, I told us to get a life. It was just, few weeks ago."

"Sorry, but I think I'm lost."

I breathed in out of nervousness, and tried calming the pounding organ in my chest. It just went worse. I bit my lip, "I... uh... I just-"

"Steve..." Nat said softly, "are you alright?"

"Yes hon- uh, I mean Nat, I-"

"Are you sure you're okay? You seem worse than me," Nat stared into my eyes, looking up and down.

"We don't have much time until Cho comes," I blurted out, "I just wanna say, you are the kindest person I've ever met and I've missed you, everyone did."

Oh no. Why did I say 'everyone'. Now it seemed so normal that I was one of the people missing her.

"Aww..." She smiled sweetly, her cheeks turning rosy red, "I... was scared too." She sniffled, "I mean, back there, I never knew I would be afraid of dying until I was falling endlessly down the cliff... I-" Nat couldn't continue, her mouth was open but nothing came out of it.

I couldn't bear her frustration, I felt the lonely vibes and fear and sadness... it filled the room. I flung myself to her, hugging her tightly.

"Steve-"

"It's okay Nat, I..." I stammered a little, hesitating like Nat was ten seconds ago. But something guided me, it was Nat. She needed more than this temporary hug that could care for her. Even though she seemed hard as a rock, her heart had been swaying all her life, not one moment she felt that she could rest. She needed someone to help her and always be around to care... or, love her. So, with all my courage, I muttered, "NatIloveyou."

"What Steve?"

"I lov-"

The sound of opening doors interrupted.

Cho's pov.

I came from the bar to the medics, and walking in those doors.

Steve looked at me stunned, with Nat buried in his chest. I knew I made a mistake. Wrong timing. I looked back at him with an awkward face, my eyes large as saucers.

I think I'd ruined their moment. But frankly, it was him who called me immediately which lessened their alone time. But it was also me who told him to call me when Nat woke up. Ugh.

We stared at each other's stupid faces, a little too speechless. Then, slowly, Nat stirred and turned up to Steve, then looked in my direction like Steve did.

"Oh, hey Cho, thanks for coming," she smiled, "I won't die, don't worry, I'm fine."

I thawed myself from the stare, then replied, "It's still necessary to do a check up, for somebody's sake..." I trailed off.

"What Cho?"

"Oh, just for everybody's sake of you know, that they know you're fine, I need to check on you."

Nat hummed and nodded her head slightly, so I headed to the bed, the side opposite Steve.

Steve loosened  the embrace and let me talk with Nat.

I asked her a few questions, while trying to know if it was true of her answers. I knew patients pretty well, they tend to hide their misery. But everything turned out fine for Nat.

Before heading off, I kindly reminded, "Hey Nat, love is for children, and... you're wrong."

"You mean Tony and Pepper? Or... did you get a boyfriend? And how did you know I said that?"

"I don't have a boyfriend, Nat. Clint had been telling us a lot about you, you get it, the time you told him about your interrogation with Loki."

"Okay," she smiled and nodded, "I guess I need some rest now."

"You sure do, the others have been waiting outside for long."

"Wait why didn't they come in just now? It's not like only one person could come in at a time."

"Nat, wake up," I chuckled, heading for the door.

"Wait, why? I'm up."

I smiled at her before leaving the room.

End of chapter
Thanks for reading! Please leave a vote if you enjoyed it and to support me!

Yeah Cho, wrong timing, but you have to take no blame.

Sorry for the long wait, but exams are finally over!

-Lunar 7/6/2022