Mixed Feelings

Nat's pov.

Like what was all that about? I meant I was fine, but Cho seemed a little weird. Whatever, I needed to get some rest anyway. I told Steve to leave when he wanted, but of course, I wanted someone's company.

"Hey Steve, one last thing before I doze off..." I mumbled, "tell the others that I'll see them when I wake up, probably tonight..."

My eyes were on him until i finished and he nodded. I laid down comfortably, pulling up my covers. It was quite thoughtful of them to help me take my shoes off when I fainted. Now... time for a well-deserved rest.

I closed my eyes, my heart beating softly, calmly. I finally felt safe, everyone caring for me. They were family, and even better than before.

Steve's pov.

I was watching Nat falling into dreamland, I couldn't leave her before she fell asleep. She was once again having her eyes closed, but looser; her breathing was more regular, she wasn't as anxious and fearful. That set my mind at rest, she was herself once more. My courageous redhead angel.

Some minutes later, her whole body seemed to relax fully, with some mild toss and turns. She was smiling softly though, which was so precious that I couldn't hold myself back and smile in return. I caressed her forehead, tilting my head to look at her face in the same direction. Her sweet smile just continued melting my heart. I wished she knew how much she was stunning me, and hoped she might choose me as something more than being friends, teammates, or family. Just something more. Unfortunately timing killed the brilliant opportunity.

I meant, I would definitely not sink myself in the pitiful situation, and rather plan a potential time in the near future to finish what hadn't been done.

I swore I'd regret it if I didn't.

I took a look at Nat, away from any other thought. She was a wonderful woman, I couldn't lose her, neither could she stay alone for eternity. My hand sneaked under the sheets and took her hand, and squeezed it gently. I made my promise. I would always be there for her, even if I wasn't her soulmate.

I released it to end my promise that ran in my head, then remembered, the others were waiting outside, or maybe somewhere else... huh.

I stood up to leave the room, so I could call Friday without waking Nat.

"Hey Friday, tell the others that they can see Nat at dinner, her orders."

"Yes Rogers."

I turned afterward, back to the medics. But something seemed to pull me back. Recalling the situation when Nat was all scared and stuff when she first woke, it was all normal for me to be there... however she's all well and, it would be weird to be there the whole time. But seriously what? I love her. She wouldn't mind if she thought I was just overthinking or a typical worrier which shouldn't be me but anyways, she could think I was overworrying for a friend who almost died.

My feet was sweating with hesitation, shifting in two opposite directions. I bit down on my teeth, courage slowly burning up. I shouldn't doubt myself, my original decision. I would stay. I needed her.

I took a stride, then another, then reached the automatic doors, allowing me to enter. Nat was sleeping soundly, her hair spread out like soft feathers, her small smile curving up her face warmly. I gently walked over, holding the back of the chair so I wouldn't make a noise when I sat down.

I bent forward, my elbows on my knees, and watched Nat. I unconsciously smiled, I felt her joy of being home, I knew it from her face, her every muscle that relaxed on the bed. She felt safe, and I was relieved.