𝐭𝐰𝐨 - 𝘮𝘰𝘴𝘵 𝘨𝘪𝘳𝘭𝘴 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘤𝘭𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘳𝘺 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘨𝘰𝘭𝘥 𝘥𝘪𝘨

𝐋𝐄𝐒

𝘈𝘴𝘩𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘺'𝘴 𝘗𝘖𝘝

I never understood the hype around parties

I never understood the hype around parties. There was only one thing about a house full of drunken teens that appealed to me and that was their demand for drugs. Even if I didn't enjoy the parties themselves, the money that me and my brother made from them was usually worth it.

Mckay's party was supposed to be 'the party of the year' so me and Fez of course turned up kitted out. I kept my backpack close as I made my way over to the couch inside, letting Fez cover the backyard.

As soon as I sat down I had people approaching me, all after the same thing. Each exchange went by smoothly, conversation kept to a minimum just how I liked it.

In between deals I mainly people-watched to keep myself entertained. My eyes scanned the filled room, occasionally make eye contact with random people who would quickly break first.

My gaze eventually met a familiar set of dark brown eyes. Of course out of everyone, Cleo was the one to refuse to break eye contact first, her stare remained firmly on me. I gave her outfit a quick once over before looking back up at her face that was now grinning over at me.

I furrowed my brows at her in confusion but her smile never faltered. As I continued to analyse her expression I tried to rationalise the odd behaviour, assuming she must be drunk or high since she never smiled at me.

I'd seen her smile a handful of times but never had they been directed at me, they were usually in response to her friends or whatever boy she was pursuing at the time. Her smile was actually nice but I'm pretty sure I only thought that because it meant she wasn't talking.

I was pulled out of my trance once two small figures blocked my view of Cleo. My eyes darted between the two girls who stood in front of me, both shooting seductive looks.

"Whatchu want?" I asked bluntly as I reached over to my backpack.

As I went to open the bag the blonde stuck her hand out to stop me, "We're not after drugs, you looked lonely so we thought we'd come keep you company."

"I'm fine on my own," I uttered but they took no notice, taking a seat either side of me.

Neither of them tried to hide their eagerness, the blonde already had her hand on my knee as the brunette played with my chain.

I rolled my eyes at their attempts to flirt. Although they were objectively pretty, I knew better than to fall for their excessive affection. I had girls throw themselves at me at most parties and as flattering as it was, it was obvious they were only interested in one thing.

Usually I would just brush the girls off or excuse myself to the bathroom but I didn't have to this time.
Someone else's interruption got the girls attention, "Hey Chloe, hey Hannah. Do you mind letting me and Ashtray speak for a moment?"

Both of the girls jumped up at Cleo's request, fake smiles plastered on their faces. "Of course, you look gorgeous by the way Cleo," the brunette complimented.

"Thanks sweet, I'll see you guys at cheer practice," Cleo waved to usher them away as she sat beside me on the couch.

Once the girls were out of the way I turned to her with a frown, "What you gotta speak to me about?"

"Nothing in particular," she shrugged simply which only made me more confused.

"Why'd you come over then?" I asked.

"Anyone could tell you were obviously not interested in either of them so I thought I'd help you out," she responded.

Her explanation offered no clarity though. I still couldn't make sense of her trying to help me out. I couldn't even blame it on substances because as she spoke I could tell she was sober.

"Are you gonna thank me or...?" she trailed off but I shook my head, "I could have handled them myself."

"You're so ungrateful," she muttered.

"Ah, the bitchy Cleo is back," I smirked at her usual bitterness.

She didn't seem to happy with my response as she stood up with a smug look, "Just so you know, I was only being nice to you because Fezco offered me free weed."

I looked at her blankly as I registered her words. I didn't even get a chance to clap back at her before she had strutted off.

I don't know why what she said annoyed me so much but I could feel myself heating up. I got up from the couch not long after, storming outside to find Fezco sat with Rue.

"You good, bro?" he greeted me with a concerned expression.

"Why are you giving freebies out to bitches just for being nice to me?" I growled as I stood in front of him.

I watched as Fez deflated once he realised he'd been caught out, "Damn. Cleo really can't keep her mouth shut."

"Are you guys surprised? She's my cousin, it runs in our blood-," Rue waffled on but I turned to her sharply and cut her off, "I'm not talking to you."

That quickly shut her up as she held her hands up in a silent surrender. I snapped my head back to Fezco who looked amused, "The fuck you laughing at?"

"You getting all heated over a girl, bro. You sure you don't like her or sum?" he cooed.

"No, she's hella annoying. I'm heated cause yo ass tryna make me look dumb as fuck," I spat back.

"Nah, it ain't like that. I just thought you guys might actually get along if you were nice to each other for once," he shrugged, "Obviously it didn't work."

"That's the dumbest shit I ever heard," I huffed.

"Aight. My bad, bro. I'll stay out of your love life next time," Fez hummed before taking another hit of his blunt.

Rue seemed to find something funny as she then burst out in laughter, "What love life? You need to know how to love to have a love life."

"Shut the fuck up, Rue," I grumbled before turning to Fezco, "I'm dipping. This party is dead and I ain't in the mood for this shit."

If they weren't both so obviously high I would have probably had a lot more harsh words to share but I decided to save them. I was never much of a talker anyway but Fez would be able to tell when I was really annoyed with him.

It was different with Rue though, I was annoyed with her most of the time but she was just too intoxicated to care. That's also why I didn't take much notice of her dumbass comment. Sure, I didn't know a lot about love but I still knew the most important thing about it. Love is the one instinct you can't trust.

 Love is the one instinct you can't trust