9: come to my party

Amanda

It had been over a week since I last talked to Brian Mckenzie.

He still sat at his stupid spot on his stupid porch every day, and I ignored him. We didn't say anything to each other.

Sure I felt bad, and it felt wrong, to purposely ignore someone like that, but... it was for the best! Because I didn't have to worry about being made a villain in this teen drama universe.

On a Wednesday, I had Biology first class. I sat next to my new friend Hannah, and couldn't help but notice she and everyone in the class was refreshing their phones.

What did I miss?

Was there a surprise Taylor Swift album? Justin back with Selena? Another Kanye meltdown?

"Why is everyone on their phones?"

Hannah turned to me and widened her eyes.

"Oh my god, you don't know."

"Don't know what?"

"We're all checking our school inboxes for a party invitation.", A boy with a heavy fringe explained in the next row.

"What party?"

"Brian's annual Halloween party of course. Only the hottest event of the entire year."

They continued to brush their thumbs over their phone screens rapidly.

"Oh...right." I tried my best not to sound interested.

"You get invited via email," Hannah said. "But not everyone gets invited. So if you get an exclusive email you're in!"

"I've been refreshing for too long I think I'm gonna be sick.", a girl with blue hair fidgeted in her seat, then looked at me. "I'm sure Brian's invited you. You are his neighbor after all."

Uhhhhh no way. I was not going to that party. 

"Well, I'm not the party type so..."

"Can I have your invite if you don't go?" the fringe boy asked.

"You can do that?"

The blue-haired girl nodded. "Yup. Invites can be given to other people, but that barely happens. Obviously."

"Obviously.", the other two said in unison.

Hannah turned to me again.

"Trust me, Amanda. You're gonna wanna go to this party. Keep refreshing guys, it's about to land."

I cautiously pulled my phone out of my pocket and kept it under the desk.

As the clock turned to 9 AM, the entire classroom room was filled with a mix of groans and screams from everyone inside it.

"Yes!" Hannah exclaimed, and got out of her seat.

"Oh my god, I got one too!" Blue hair cheered.

"Can I have it?" the fringe boy asked.

"No."

I carefully looked at my phone again and saw I had received an email.

The email subject said: BRIAN'S ANNUAL HALLOWEEN PARTY INVITATION

And yes it was,

From Brian Mckenzie

I was invited.

...Even though we weren't really, friends.

Damn you, Brian McKenzie.

"Did you get one?" Hannah asked.