Chapter 6

Camila was sitting on the beach. She was watching the waves crash into the shore, a bottle of liquor in her hand. She doesn't drink a lot but this time she needs it. She needs a strong drink that could wash away all her guilty feelings.

"I knew I'd find you here,"

Lauren sits down next to her. She always knows how or where to find her. Sometimes Camila thinks that Lauren is the only person who truly knows her, gets her. Much more than she knows herself.

Camila doesn't say anything. She is afraid that she would say the wrong thing.

"Talk to me Camz. Tell me what's wrong,"

Camila takes a drink.

"Do you think I'm a sex addict?"

"I'm about to be an animal doctor, not a psychiatrist. But since I've slept with you plenty of times before, yeah. I'd say you might be crazy addicted to sex. Why are you asking?"

Camila groans. She decides to tell Lauren. She tells Lauren everything and never felt like she was being judged or criticized. She is just afraid that one of these days Lauren might get tired of her and all of her hang ups in life.

"I had sex with my boss. Then, I went down on my client earlier today. And I'm dating Normani. And I also had sex with you. Fuck, I'm always having sex. I can't help it,"

Lauren chuckles, "See. Sex addict,"

"Something is wrong with me, Lo,"

Camila takes a big gulp from her liquor bottle. She sighs, looking down on the sand. Lauren looks at her.

"Do you think you should seek professional help? Because all the joking aside, I don't think there's anything wrong with you. You are a good person. Passionate. Kind and smart. Annoying sometimes, but still, you're a good person,"

"A good person doesn't cheat on their girlfriends,"

"Maybe. Or maybe you just haven't figured out what you really want. Other than sex, of course. That you're still exploring the concept of dating someone. You haven't really dated anyone, Camz,"

"Neither did you,"

"I only ever wanted to date one person,"

"And who is that?"

Lauren snatches the liquor bottle from Camila and takes a swig.

"Wouldn't you want to know,"

"Of course I want to know. Besides, you tell me everything. So, who do you want to date?"

Lauren looks at her. A small smile spreads on her pretty face. Camila is still watching the waves, unaware that Lauren is staring at her. When she turns to her best friend, Lauren looks away, stares at the setting sun before she answers.

"Pamela Anderson,"

Camila bursts out laughing. "You're thinking about that damn Baywatch poster we found in your abuelo's basement, aren't you?!"

"It was a good poster. Big boobs and all. Don't deny, you wanted her too! You're a boob person, I know!"

"Yeah it was a good poster. But it was old as fuck! As old as your abuelo!"

The two of them joke around for a little bit until they empty their bottle of Patrón. They were far from being drunk but they're both a little tipsy. The two walk on the beach to sober up a little bit more before deciding to drive home.

"Tell Normani," Lauren says. "Be honest with her. You know it's not fair so don't treat her like this, sneaking around and about,"

"And if she breaks up with me? I'm not ready to lose her. I really want to try,"

"Tell her that. Explain yourself as best as you can and if she doesn't give you another try, another chance, then you'll eventually find someone whom you could try a relationship with. Someone worth not cheating on,"

"I— I never meant to cheat. It seems that way but it's not really what I was trying to do. I just— I really like Normani. I know there's something special between us. And I want to keep that. But I'm also..."

Lauren stops walking. She looks at Camila. "Also what?"

Camila stares at Lauren. She steps closer that their faces were inches apart. Lauren holds her breath, staring back at Camila's brown eyes.

Camila starts to say something but stops. She steps back, taking a deep breath.

"Never mind,"

Camila was just realizing in that moment how important Lauren is in her life. If there's only one person in this world that she is allowed to keep, she would easily pick Lauren. Telling her best friend that she has fallen in love with her, while having feelings at the same time with her girlfriend, will ruin everything.

Lauren is an easygoing person who likes things as they come and go. What Camila doesn't know, what Lauren has been expertly hiding all this time, is that Lauren has been in love with her for the longest time.

Camila never had a clue, never guessed what's under her nose all this time. Lauren is and has always been in love with her. Even if it hurt sometimes to see Camila with someone else, Lauren never stopped loving her.

"Let's go home Camz. I think you're tired. Sleep it off and maybe in the morning you'll figure it out,"

Camila smiles at Lauren. Grateful at how understanding she is. They drive off separately in their own cars, Camila with her black camaro and Lauren will her red mustang.

When they reach their apartment building, parking in their own parking spaces, Normani was already there waiting by her bright yellow beetle car that was illegally parked on the side of the road.

When she spots Camila stepping out of her car, Normani runs to her with a big hug.

"Mani!"

"Surprise! I just miss you, babe. I know we just saw each other this morning but I gotta see you again,"

Normani kisses her. She kisses back and as they make out, she could also sense Lauren walking past them and into the building. It felt cold. It felt a lot like her very best friend is walking away from her forever, never to look back again.

Camila pulls away.

"Babe we need to talk,"

—————