𝐁𝐑𝐎𝐊𝐄 𝐎𝐏𝐏𝐒 : 𝐂𝐇. 𝟏

BRITISH MAHOGANY RACER.
CHICAGO, IL
SEPTEMBER 2019.

"Y'all got some backwoods? Russian cream?" British asked her voice soft as she squinted looking behind the cashier through the thick glass

"Y'all got some backwoods? Russian cream?" British asked her voice soft as she squinted looking behind the cashier through the thick glass. She really needed to start wearing her glasses outside sometimes.

"Girl, now who the fuck you gettin' backwoods for?" Her older sister Camden asked. Camden lived somewhere in boring ass Wisconsin with her no good ass controlling boyfriend Lamont and their four year old daughter Cali. But, nevertheless she never let his controlling ways get in the way of contacting her only sister.

"Kyrin." British vaguely answered the question. Kyrin was British's ex-boyfriend who had recently suffered a gunshot wound to the back of his head, fortunately he survived and of course British had to be the one to take care of him, per usual.

"We don't have any backwoods," the young Arabic cashier said behind the glass after looking and flipping through inventory.

"None?" She asked to which he shook his head. "Alright, fuck it then. Just this." She gestured to the few items she had on the counter.

"Kyrin? You seein' him again?" Camden asked through the phone. "Cali, sit down!"

"Nah," British said plainly watching the cashier ring everything up, "I told you what happened to him, right?" British heard the bells ring on the door, looking over she saw two gentlemen with flashy jewelry and dreads enter.

"$15.22," the cashier said watching as she pulled out her EBT card, sliding it through the card reader.

"Hell naw, what happen?"

British answered all the necessary questions on the card reader, watching patiently as the cashier gave her the black plastic bag filled with items and her receipt. Taking the necessary time to put her card back in her wallet wristlet. She stayed losing her cards.

"Camden, I did tell you he got shot in the head a couple of weeks ago," British said to her sister sucking her teeth, rolling her eyes she watched as DQ held the door open for her to walk out.

"Aw, girl—you know my memory ain't shit!" Camden explained. "I got this bad ass niece of yours on my hands—who I just told to sit the fuck down!" She said sternly raising her voice to the little girl who was standing on the couch, she instantly plopped down on the couch. "And her good for mother fuckin' nothin' ass daddy wrecking my mind all day! I don't even remember what I ate for dinner last night, chile."

"When you gon' stop playing wit' me and let me see what you on British?" DQ smirked knowing it would get under British' skin since he dated her sister a couple of years back,

"DQ, please—I do not feel like playin' with you today," British rolled her eyes popping her gum between her teeth as she walked out onto the sidewalk before turning around and pointing at him, "and tell yo sixth baby mama stop makin' fake pages to ask me if I talk to you, cause I don't!"

"Imma tell ha you my wife!" DQ smirked watching her walk away, slinging her middle finger in the air as she continued down the block.

"Worrisome as hell," British muttered shaking her head.

"Girl, did I hear DQ bummy ass?" Camden sucked her teeth. Her time with DQ was short but kind of sweet, minus the five children he had accumulated since then. He only had two children then, and his baby mama's weren't a problem, but DQ just couldn't get his life in order. Street affairs came first, and ultimately Camden came in last.

"Girl yea."

"Ion know what I was thinking when I decided to shack up wit' him." Camden admitted, her tone regretful as she shook her head.

"Girl, cause why he was commentin' on one of my posts, and I guess his new baby mama got her notifications on for him cause she followed me a few minutes after he commented," British dished, "and then a few minutes after that, I get a dm from a fake page, zero followers, zero posts talkin' bout some 'hey girl, do you fuck with DQ cause that's my friend baby daddy.'" British faked a high pitched females voice.

"At this point, bitch we know it's you!" Camden chimed in. "She might as well have sent it from her main page."

British started to respond making her way across the street, right in the middle of the walkway a black and blue striped Dodge Charger came around the corner fast and recklessly, stopping only inches away from her body.

"Damn!" British cursed scrunching her face up, noticing the boys as the ones who had shortly entered the store after her. "Y'all dumb ass gon run somebody over whippin' that bitch like that!" She rolled her eyes stepping around the vehicle cautiously.

"What happened!?"

"Yo ass all onna phone and shit, get yo lil ass across the street!." He mugged a little bit, a mouth full of diamonds before speeding down the residential area.

"Girl some weak ass lil boy drivin' this fuckin charger almost hit me!" British scrunched her face up, still irritated by the incident.

"Them niggas get them fast cars and don't know be knowin' what the fuck to do wit' em except speed!" Camden shook her head.

British sucked her teeth, blowing a big bubble with her winter fresh gum before popping it. Opening the gate to Kyrin's court-way building. "You definitely right—but ima call you back." She walked down the path seeing a middle aged man exit the building, holding the door open for her as she jogged to the door. "Thank you." She said to him as she stepped inside.

"Cause I gotta go in this house with him and his mama, and I know both of them finna blow me." British rolled her eyes at the thought of getting into it with funky ass mama, again.

"Aight Brit, call me later then." Camden sighed the clinking of pots and pans in her background showed she was occupied enough anyway.

"Aight," British finalized ending the call as she climbed the carpeted stairs of the building heading to the third floor bracing herself for Kyrin and his nosy ass mama.