𝐁𝐑𝐎𝐊𝐄 𝐎𝐏𝐏𝐒 : 𝐂𝐇. 𝟕

BRITISH MAHOGANY RACER.
CHICAGO, IL
SEPTEMBER 2019.

"Family of Harlem Davis?" A man in a nice freshly pressed suit spoke up

"Family of Harlem Davis?" A man in a nice freshly pressed suit spoke up. British stood up instantly, drying her eyes, feeling of dread filling up her stomach. She was really hoping he was okay, he was her whole entire life. The whole reason she was going so hard. Without him, what would her reasoning be?

"It's me," she rushed out, "I'm his guardian!" Clasping her hands together she hoped for the best news.

"I'm the Chaplain, please follow me."

"The chaplain?!" British yelled out louder than intended. "He's dead?!"

Dayvon's lips parting, as he never had good experience with Chaplains coming to the family. It either meant death, or it just wasn't good at all, he lost enough homies to know.

"I'm not sure," the Chaplain explained to her, "I was just told to come get you, ma'am. The doctor will explain everything!" He consoled her, wrapping his arms around her shoulders as he guided her away. Dayvon deciding to follow, his close relationship with Harlem requiring him to know some type of status on him.

An elevator ride and a long walk later the trio found themselves stepping inside of the family counseling room. Never a good sign.

"I'll go get the doctor." The chaplain softly stated while British closed her eyes saying a silent prayer to god and granny. Her head resting on the wall behind her. Dayvon, knees on his elbow as he stared at the floor, noticing this was the first time he was ever in this room for a child.

"Family?" All eyes trailed up to the door once the Doctor entered minutes later. He sat across from the duo with a somber expression. "So, Harlem came in here in a very critical condition.."

"Is he dead?" British sobbed. "Please just let me know that."

The doctors lips parted as he continued, "no."

British let out a breath she hadn't even known she was holding, Dayvon feeling a huge weight lift off his shoulders as he silently thanked god.

"But, he is still in very serious condition. His body endured a lot of trauma, being shot in his lower abdomen the bullet was only a centimeter away from hitting serious arteries and organs. He's lost a lot of blood, so for now we're monitoring him in ICU." He explained.

Although, hearing his condition was still very critical, British was just so thankful god kept him here with her and all she could do was pray that god would keep him here.

"We've done all we can, now it's up to Harlem." He said finally.

"We can see him?" Dayvon spoke up. His feelings were all over the place. First he was upset, and a little worried, Harlem was young and getting shot was worse on a kids body than an adults. Secondly, he was angry and seeking get back on whoever did this to him. But the city of Chicago was way too large, whoever did this was probably simply trying to hit another person and hit Harlem by mistake.