Chapter 13

You sigh. "I drove it into a tree. I totaled the front, so it looked like an accident. I fell through the windshield, and hit the tree, then the hood and the ground."

     Bucky's eyes widen, and he is about to say something else when you interrupt. "I'm not done. After I realized that I survived, I went around and tore off the license plate. I didn't have a screwdriver, so..." You hold up your hands wrapped in bloodstained bandages.

     "And then, I scratched off the identification code from the paint. And for the finishing touch, I shot the radio and communication panel. Happy?"

     Bucky and Steve sit speechless. Steve is the first to speak. "Wow, Y/n, that's-"

     Bucky speaks up, the shock broken. "Holy shit, Y/n, you could've died! What the hell were you thinking?"

     You drop your head into your hands. "I know. I just, I needed to get that truck out of here. If they find you guys, I wouldn't doubt that Pierce would kill you both, on sight."

     Bucky comes around the side of the counter to you. He pulls you into a hug, as tears begin to silently stream down your face. "I'm sorry, Bucky, but I just don't want to get you or Steve killed because of a stupid, preventable mistake."

     He holds you tightly, and Steve smiles. "You've done so much for us already, Y/n!"

     Bucky nods. "But I don't want you hurting yourself, over us. And you need to be careful, too. Pierce may come after you as well."

     You nod slowly. "Can I-can I talk to you for a minute in the other room?" Bucky nods, then you two look at Steve.

     Steve shrugs. "It doesn't matter to me. Can I..." He trails off, and gestures towards the pan and the loaf of bread.

     You nod and smile. "Go ahead. Help yourself to anything in the kitchen." You begin walking out of the room, as Bucky follows behind. You call back to the kitchen. "Except for the chocolate bar in the cupboard! I call dibs!"

     Bucky laughs, and you lead him into the spare room. You sit on the edge of the bed, and take a deep breath. "Bucky, I'm going to have to go back to Hydra, you know that, right?" You say, untying your sling, and avoiding eye contact with him.

     He sits down beside you, and when you look up, you see that he has tears in his eyes. "But why, Y/n?"

     You sigh. "Bucky, I-"

     He shakes his head. "You could come back with Steve and I, and we could find you a nice place to stay, and-"

     You put your hand on his shoulder, and he stops. "Bucky. You know I don't want to go back. But it's not like I have a choice. He would find me, and that would put you in danger. It will be safer for both you and Steve if I go back."

     Bucky sighs, shaking his head as he pulls you into a hug. "I'm sorry, Y/n."

     You shake your head as you pull away. "No, it's not your fault. I-" You stop, as you hear Steve in the kitchen.

     "Umm, guys? You should come see this."