Chapter 18

Rowan puts his hands in the air. “Alright, fair point.”

     You grin, turning around to see Bucky smiling at you. You raise an eyebrow. “Ready?”

     He smiles. “Ready.”

     You grin. “Then hold on!” With that, you take off, and Steve and D.J driving their bikes not far behind.

     You can’t help but laugh lightly as the wind breaks through your hair as you drive through the woods, fluttering through Bucky’s jacket, that you still wear, open. You breathe in the fresh, chilly air, remembering how things used to be, riding on the back of your uncle’s bike, before everything changed…

     You snap back to the moment, taking a tight turn between a group of trees. The bike leans, and you put your foot above the ground, in case you need to steady yourself.

     You feel Bucky put his hand on your waist gently, trying to keep his balance. As the bike regains it’s upright position, you feel him retract his hands. “I-I’m sorry-” you hear him say above the noise.

     You smile. “It’s ok. I don’t mind.” You turn your attention back to the road, and you blush, grinning again as he replaces his hands on your waist again.

     It only takes a few minutes before the six of you arrive at the cliff's edge. You park the bike over at the edge of the trees, and you swing your legs over the side as Bucky removes his hands off your hips as you dismount the bike, him getting off as well. “That-that was the most nerve-wracking thing I’ve ever experienced.”

     You roll your eyes as the others park their bikes beside your's. “Come on, it wasn’t THAT bad.”

     He shakes his head, still smirking. “Please, Lord, remind me to give you driving lessons for both a car and a bike the next time we see each other.”

     “You have to admit, it was exhilarating!”

     He shrugs. “Can’t argue with that. It was fun, when I wasn’t terrified for my life, of course.”

     You punch his shoulder, ducking as he tries to mess up your hair. The other guys come over, and you smile as you see them laughing and talking together, still catching up on old news. You walk over to the bike again, grabbing the bags from the back. “Here.”

     You toss each of them a bag, and they look through it, surprised. John peers into his. “What’s all in here?”

     You hand out the last bag to Steve. “Supplies. There’s a few days’ worth of food, which means you should be able to eat well. The train ride should only be about a day, maybe a bit more at most. There is also water, and a small blanket in each one. Sorry, some of the blankets are towels. I ran out of blankets.”

     The guys smile at you, thanking you. Rowan chuckles. “You’ve been too kind to us, Y/n.”

     Steve nods. “I don’t know how we can ever repay you.”

     You smile softly. “Don’t worry about it. There’s just one thing,” you pull them all into a hug. “Just stay safe, okay?”

     They all laugh, hugging you as well. You feel Bucky’s hand run through your hair. “We will, doll.”

     You laugh lightly, blinking quickly to try to cover the tears forming in your eyes, before pulling away. You smile. "Let's get this set up now, shall we?" They nod, and you go over to the bike again, hauling the heavy bag of equipment over to the edge of the cliff, setting it on the ground.

     The guys stand around, looking at you skeptically, asking occasionally if they can help, but you keep working, insisting you're fine. You take out a long cable with a grappling hook on the end. While the guys look confused still, you go over to the trees, and throwing the cable over your shoulder.

     You begin the climb the tree, as Steve’s mouth gapes in shock. "What the hell is she doing?"