Chapter One

The Sequel to My Orphan Mate and the second story of the Mate Series. I would highly recommend that you read the first story to get the gist of this one. With that said, I hope you enjoy this continuation.

*this story will contain mature content.

Thank you for being here <3

LYRA
_________

"I miss you, mom."

My fingers traced along the grey stone, feeling the rough texture of the rock beneath my touch.

It had already been over three years since my mother migrated to her new home and three years since I last saw her beautiful smile.

So much had happened and she was not around to see any of it. I tried to visit her as often as I could, sometimes alone and other times with Alexander.

Today, I was visiting her alone. Alexander was occupied with preparing the pack venue for tonights event. With such a big event being hosted, I decided to come and dump my nerves on my mother, who really had no other option but to listen.

I smiled, knowing exactly how she would have responded to that thought if she was alive. I missed her more than I let on.

When a rumbling sound erupted from the hungry clouds, I snapped back to my surroundings and realised I should head back home before my mate started to worry.

As always, I placed a kiss on top of my mother's tombstone before I bid her adieu.

My heart felt heavy on the way home, but I tried to think of the good memories. The man responsible for her death was no longer in this world and that thought was enough to calm my wolf.

When I pulled up to the house, I squealed excitedly when I saw the big box awaiting me on my door stop. The dresses that I had ordered for Ava were finally here.

Half an hour later, I was in my bedroom rummaging through the dozen dresses, deciding on which one to pick for Ava, when the auburn haired girl burst through the door, grinning from ear to ear.

Snapping my head in her direction, I watched with curious eyes as my best friend plopped herself on to my bed.

"You're in a good mood," I commented, eyeing her.

A wide smile covered her face until she noticed the dress in my hand. "I am but you're about to ruin that by telling me that dress is for me," she gaped, her smile completely wiped off.

"Correct. It is for you," I confirmed, holding the maroon sequinned dress up to eye it properly.

A groan escaped from the girl. "Can't I just wear a casual dress?"

"You know if it was just our pack, I wouldn't ask you to do this, but we have other packs attending tonight, Ave. I need my members to look the part. Plus, you can change after the main event if you want."

I didn't see what the issue was anyway. The dress that I had chosen for her was chic and in style and would really compliment her auburn hair.