Chapter Seventeen

LYRA
________

After I had calmed down, I pushed at Alexander's chest and hopped out of the bed. It took me a second when I stood up to be orientated to my surroundings because at first I had an episode of vertigo.

Once I was completely in tune with my surroundings, I strutted out of the place.

Alexander quietly followed behind me, not uttering a single word.

Tears flowed down my cheeks on their own accord and I couldn't help but blame the pup inside of me for how emotional I was. My wolf was still really upset, but she was getting to know the pup in me and that seemed to have distracted her.

I was glad at least one of us could give the pup the love it deserved, because right now I couldn't even focus on the baby.

The thought alone made me feel nauseous, and before I could think twice, I bent over the nearest bush and emptied all the fluid out from my stomach.

Alexander was by my side, holding my hair up. "I'm taking you back to the doctor," he warned, concern filled in his eyes.

I waved him off with my hand. "I'm not going," I argued, and came back up to wipe at my mouth with my sleeve, not having any other option. "He already said that I need to rest."

Alexander studied me cautiously for a second, and without warning, picked me up bridal style, carrying me back to our house. I tried to fight him off, but with his Alpha powers, and with me being pregnant, my slaps on his chest were ineffective.

"Alpha," I heard Adam say as we entered our house. "Luna," he continued when he saw me, concern in his eyes. "Are you feeling better?"

Alexander growled lowly, making his chest rumble under my touch. "She is fine. Your concern should be with the pack," he spat. "What are you doing here, Adam?"

The boy quickly turned his head to my mate, and lowered his gaze in respect. "Alpha Jensen wanted to know what time the dinner was, he has to leave shortly."

"You couldn't mind-link this information?" Alexander snarled.

Narrowing my eyes, I slapped at Alexander's chest, not appreciating the way he spoke to Adam. When I felt my mate relax, I turned my eyes back on the curly haired boy.

"You had us shut out," Adam explained. "I just came to relay the message, if you don't need anything else, I will be on my way."

Alexander exhaled loudly, before nodding. "Very well, Adam. Tell Jensen the dinner is at six o'clock, but I will confirm my attendance later on today."

Adam bowed and was out of the door at an instant, making me frown.

Alexander glanced down at me and cocked a brow, questioningly. "What's the matter?"

"You didn't have to be so rude," I told him.

My mate sighed, but didn't say anything as he carried me up the stairs, not stopping until we were in our bedroom. He ever so gently placed me on the bed, before retreating to the nearest chair.

"You should get ready for the dinner," I told him, dryly.

He frowned. "I'm not leaving you."

Rolling my eyes, I said, "If I'm not in a state to go, then you should. One of us has to bid our guests adieu, Alexander."

Alexander reguarded me with intense eyes, looking ready to argue with me, but instead he nodded. "Even if I have to carry you, I will make sure to attend the dinner with you by my side," he murmured, stirring something inside of me.

"I'm not going with you," I snapped.

"I'm not going without you," he challenged. "I need everyone to know that you are mine, and only you."

"Everyone? You mean your ex-lover?" I sneered.

"What?" Alexander said, appearing shocked. "Ex-lover? Where the hell did that come from?"

"I'm not about to do this again, Alexander," I snarled at him, my brows drawing in to a line.

Alexander sighed. "Baby," he muttered. "She is not my ex-lover, dammit."

"I need to rest. Please, leave," I ordered, harshly.

My mate tensed his jaw. "I'm not leaving until you hear what I have to say. This has gone too far now. You're hurting yourself and I will not stand around to watch you do that."

"I'm the one hurting myself?" I retorted, scoffing in disbelief. "Get the hell out of this room right now, Alexander."

My mate watched me with confused eyes, concern plastered all over his face. "I need until end of today before I can explain what is happening. Please."

Clenching my teeth together, I pushed my feet off of the bed and stood up. "If you aren't leaving then I will."

I had taken a single step when my mate wrapped his arms around my waist, his chest pressed up against my back. His hands rested on my stomach, automatically stimulating my emotions.

"I love you," he murmured in to my hair. "I know I haven't been the best with my words at a time like this, but I would never do anything that could hurt you deliberately. Believe me, Lyra."

Tears silently stroked my cheeks as I listened to my mate. My wolf was suddenly interested in what he had to say, and she perked up from her misery. I was surprised, but I didn't question her. She was probably in a better mood because of our pup, and not because of our mate.

"Let's attend this dinner together," Alexander proposed, his voice low against my ear. "I promise, I will explain everything in detail afterwards when it's just the two of us."

I tried to wriggle out of his touch, but my mate held me firmly. "I already told you, I'm not going."

"Yes, you are," Alexander argued, nonchalantly.

"You're not going to force me to attend this dinner," I snapped, pulling my head away to glare at him.

"I'm not leaving you here alone," he retorted, his voice low but filled with authority.

"Why? You think I'm going to do what you have been doing and hit it off with other wolves?" I said, sarcastically but my voice filled with anger.

Alexander tightened his arms around my waist, bringing me flush against his chest. I could feel the loud beating of his heart in this chest, and the pace it was going had me slightly concerned, but he was the last person I should be worried about right now.

"Jessica is a psychopath," he told me, making me snarl at the mention of her name. "I'm not leaving you alone, knowing she is in our territory. Until I have snapped her head off, I will not be going anywhere without you."

"Alexander," I gasped, hardly believing the venom spewing out of his mouth.

"You have no idea what that woman has done to me, Lyra," my mate told me, his eyes completely black. "I'm not stopping at anything until she is dead."