Chapter Twenty Five

LYRA
________

Before I could ask my mate to elaborate further on his words, he had already taken my hand in his again and was guiding us out of the underground.

The pack was more quiet than usual, and I didn't dare stop Alexander with how fast his pace was.

When we reached our house, I was surprised to find a black, matte Maserati parked outside. I cocked a brow as I turned to my mate. We were werewolves, we never needed a car.

Alexander grabbed a water bottle from the car and rinsed his mouth quickly, before turning his gaze on me, giving me enough time to ask him the question.

"A car?" I asked in pure shock, waiting for him to respond.

As expected, my mate clenched his jaw before guiding me towards the passenger seat. Swiftly, he opened the door and had me seated, before closing the door and attended to the drivers side.

I thought he was going to avoid me again, but then he leaned over, buckled my seat and paused to glance at me. His eyes were a bit warmer now and I knew he was slowly calming down.

"I'm sorry if I startled you," he apologised, completely surprising me. "And this is not just any car."

I narrowed my eyes, searching his eyes. "Enlighten me," I said, cocking a brow.

Alexander chuckled softly, his mood completely shifted. "It's untraceable," he said, wickedly, before pecking my lips quickly.

He then retreated back to his seat, a smirk playing on his lip. I was utterly confused at the sudden change in demeanour, but couldn't even complain. I definitely preferred this side of him.

Alexander turned the key to get the car started, but he must have felt my stare, because he turned to me briefly and said, "We are leaving for a day or two. I need time alone with you."

My brows furrowed in confusion. "Right now? What about the pack?"

He sighed. "They are just fine. I will keep an eye on them whilst we are away."

His words didn't ease the tightening feeling that covered my chest, and I only glanced at him dumbfounded. Could we really leave our pack right after a rogue attack? What would that make us look like as the leaders?

Alexander must have felt my uneasiness, because he said, "Trust me and let me handle this, okay? I will explain everything later. I need to get away, Lyra."

And just like that, with a swift motion, my mate sped away from the house.

"Where exactly are we going? I don't even have clothes!" I complained, in utter terror, glancing down at my naked form.

The corner of his mouth raised slightly. "I do not see the need for them, you look mighty fine just the way you are right now," he told me, teasingly, surprising me once again at how much calmer he was all of a sudden.

He gave me a quick side glance, his eyes scanning my body, before a grin covered his face and his eyes returned back to the road ahead.

A blush crept over my face as my eyes raked over his own naked torso, and I had to fight the urge to climb over his lap. This was not the time for my wolf to get excited.