Chapter Nineteen

LYRA
________

"She did what?" I growled, dropping my hands on his face in utter shock.

She had taken advantage of Alexander, knowing that he was not in the right state of mind from mourning his father. Just how twisted could someone be to do that?

Then it dawned on me that Alexander was still entertaining the bitch despite the horrid past he shared with her.

"And yet, you still entertained her," I spewed, feeling anger course through me at how he allowed this to go further than it had to.

Alexander's jaw tensed, his brows furrowing. "Baby, that's not true. I have never entertained her. Not once."

Arching a brow, I glanced at him dryly. "You let her hug you," I reminded him. "And I don't understand. If she did that to you, I'm shocked to know that you didn't kill her the second you found out."

"I couldn't," he replied instantly, his eyes dark. "I despise her and her brother, but her father is a man of honour," my mate elaborated.

I narrowed my eyes, completely shocked by what he was telling me. He had refrained from killing the siblings because of their father. Why? Especially, after what she had done to him. No Alpha would forgive such an incident.

"That doesn't even make sense," I spoke but only then remembered the fact that the bitch had spiked his drinks. "You're an Alpha. I thought human drugs wouldn't have an effect on you."

I was genuinely curious, because from what I had learned, wolves were pretty good with substances and it didn't affect us exactly the way it would a pure human.

I mean, it could affect us, but not to a point where we would pass out. If anything, it would make us less orientated, just not purely unconscious.

Alexander ran a hand through his hair frustratingly. "No, Lyra. It's not simple human drugs," he told me, shaking his head. "When you have the right connections, you can find specific substances that will have a negative impact on wolves too, that including Alphas."

I frowned at his words, realising this information was new to me. But why would the beta's daughter go to these lengths? What was she trying to achieve by doing this?

"You said you've known each other since you were pups," I echoed, swallowing the lump in my throat. "Why would she do that to you if you go way back? Is she in love with you or something?"

My mate scoffed, but his tensed facial muscles told me he was suffering in pure agony. "She's the craziest bitch I have come across," he spat, anger behind his voice. "After that incident, I never returned to Sirius pack. It ruined my relationship with her father. I withdrew from other packs, hardly able to trust them."

Alexander paused for a second to catch his breath, before he lowly muttered, "In an attempt to cope with what had happened, I put all my focus on protecting my pack, instead. This pack."

I reached up to touch his cheek, making my mate glance up at me. His charcoal eyes were slowly returning to their ocean blue.

"Why didn't you just tell me this?" I whispered, lowly, almost feeling bad for how I had reacted. "I was going crazy thinking that you were seeing her behind my back."

He had been right. I had misunderstood the situation, but considering what I had seen, how was I ought to know that?

Alexander rose from his kneeled position and took a seat by my side. Wrapping his arms around me, he embraced me tightly, inhaling my scent a couple of times.