Chapter Twenty Two

LYRA
________

"What's going on?" I asked as I pulled myself out of the bed.

Alexander rushed over to me, without uttering another word, he snaked his arm behind my back and pulled me in to his arms.

"I'm going to have to ask you to retreat to the underground," he told me, his voice hard. "I don't have time to explain everything but Jaxon is on his way to get you now."

I pulled back and frowned at my mate. "I'm not going anywhere without you," I argued.

Alexander shook his head, before taking my hands in his and raising it to his mouth. "Baby, no. I am not risking the chances of you getting hurt. The doctor said you needed to rest, which is exactly what you will be doing."

"Alexander, don't do this."

My mate pecked my hands, his breath fanning my skin. I could see the struggle he was having with his wolf by the look in his eyes. The colour in them kept alternating between black and his usual blue ones. His wolf was at bay and ready to dominate.

"Lyra, I wish I didn't have to. I can't protect you if you come with me."

"I can protect myself," I reminded him. I was an Alpha's daughter. "You know that I can. I am an Alpha too."

Alexander nodded. "I know, baby, but I won't risk my chances. Jaxon is coming and that is final. As soon as I have cleared our territory, I will come and find you."

Crossing my arms, I glared at him. But Alexander only snaked his arms around me and held me close in his arms. He was murmuring affectionate words in to my ear, but concern was all I could feel.

Too much was happening at once, and I couldn't help but frown in fear of the unknown.

"I will be up here if you need me," Alexander reminded me, tapping his index gently on my temple. "If you feel scared, all you have to do is send me a message. Baby, I am not going anywhere."

Nodding, I swallowed hard. "Okay, but please be careful."

"Don't worry about me," he reassured. "You just have to take care of yourself for me, alright?"

I barely had a chance to nod before the door to our bedroom swung open, revealing a rather exhausted-looking Jaxon.

"Lyr," my best friend yelled, panting. "There you are."

Alexander's jaw tensed, and at first he didn't pay any attention to the boy at the door. Instead, he embraced me even more tightly, inhaling my scent as his head nestled in my neck.

I snaked my arms around his neck, inhaling as much of his musky scent as I could myself. I wanted to fight rogues along side my mate, but I remembered our pup and didn't want to risk hurting the baby.

Alexander still didn't know about the pup and it was a bad timing for me to tell him, so instead, I rested in to his chest. I would tell him after the chaos that was unfolding right now.

When Alexander pulled away from the embrace, I glanced up at him, glad to see his eyes were almost their normal blue colour again. He leaned down and pecked my head a couple of times.