Chapter Sixteen

LYRA
________

I glanced at Zynthéa as if she had grown another head, playing the words she had spoken just now over and over again in my head.

The room fell completely silent as the girl by my side eyed me cautiously, waiting for me to react to the news.

But, I burst out in to laughter. "That's very funny," I told her, she had to obviously be joking, but the calculation that I had made with how late I was confirmed that it was not a joke.

My brain refused to process the news, my wolf was just as shocked as I.

"I wouldn't dare joke about this," the girl muttered, her brows knitted together as her eyes travelled to my waist.

Instinctively, my hands traced over my mid section, a frown covering my face as I thought of having a pup inside of me right now.

Mine and Alexander's pup. Our baby.

I should have been ecstatic, but with everything happening, I couldn't even process the news. It made no sense, but the sickness and how emotional I had been made perfect sense.

Still, I couldn't be. Surely.

"I'm not pregnant. I can't be," I said through gritted teeth.

"Lyra."

"No, Théa," I snapped, already feeling tears accumulate in my eyes. "This can't be happening right now."

"You don't want a pup?" the girl asked, dumbfounded and looked really hurt.

I glared at her, unintentionally. "I don't know what I want right now."

The girl pursed her lips but didn't pry further. "My brother is almost here, I will leave the two of you to discuss this matter. I think it's best for you two to talk about this."

I nodded, not wanting to have an argument with her as well. She didn't need to know that I was not planning on telling her brother about this, not until I knew for certain what I wanted.

I mean, the thought of me being a mother freaked me out completely. I had hardly adjusted to being a Luna, how was I going to adjust to becoming a mother on top of that?

And with the state that Alexander and I were currently in, throwing a pup in to the equation did not seem like the brightest idea. It would complicate things even further.

On top of that, did I really want an innocent wolf to get caught in between our mess? For all I knew in that moment, my mate and I were in a very bad state.

"Well, that's my cue to leave," Zynthéa commented, bring me back to her. "Alexander is here."

My jaw tensed and I felt nauseous at my mate's name, feeling emotional with how I now reacted to Alexander's presence.

Instead of wanting to leap in to his arms and share the news that I was still processing, I didn't even want to see him right now. Seeing him would set off every damn emotion that was racing through me, and he was the last person that I wanted to console me right now.

Zynthéa placed a kiss on my head. "It's all going to be okay," she reassured, in an attempt to comfort me before scurrying out of the door.