Episode 4: Horikita's Decision

[Kiyotaka POV]

''I don't know if this place is a dream or not, but at least I know it's not real.''

Sakayanagi came toward me and Kei and sat down flat on the floor. It was a cute gesture.

''But why?" Kei asked.

''As you all know, I am physically weak. But that makes me even more astute when it comes to changes in my physical condition."

When Kei asked the question, Sakayanagi gave it some thought before answering.

"I got the impression that it had been a long time since I had awoken here, so I was beginning to wonder about the time of my medication. The prescription is supposed to be taken after meals, but I've found that I'm not hungry and don't need to go to the bathroom. I believed it was because I was nervous at first, but in any case, too much time has passed."

''If you ask me, yes. It should be time for me to start getting a bit hungry too."

When I agreed, Sakayanagi nodded in agreement. I see, she is sickly and had spent some time in a hospital before I met her at school, so she must be sensitive to that kind of sensation.

''Good, so this is a dream after all.'' Kei's expression changed from uneasy to relieved.

''But although I don't think this place is real, I also don't think it's just a dream.''

''What do you mean?"

Kei tilted her head. 

''I overheard a conversation between the two of you, and I think Ayanokouji-kun said something like 'from the point of view of the Building Code, a completely closed room is impossible'. This was a new matter for me to learn, so it was refreshing."

''Hmm, you are giving me too much credit. It's just something I've heard about a long time ago."

Come to think of it, Sakayanagi seems to be quite a mystery lover. Apparently, she read a lot of books when she was in the hospital or recuperating at home.

''Still, it was an idea that never occurred to me. Fufufu, as expected of Ayanokouji-kun. So I've come to the conclusion that it would be unusual if this place was a dream."

''W-What do you mean? If it's a dream world, then anything is possible."

Kei was perplexed. She still had no idea what Sakayanagi was talking about.

''Certainly, I think anything can happen in a dream. But it is only within the limits of your imagination and knowledge. It's impossible for the characters in my dreams to tell me something I don't already know."

''......''

"Kei if you are still confused, if this is Sakayanagi's dream, it would be unusual for me to tell her something she doesn't already know. Let's see, in this current scenario, it would indicate that I, as Sakayanagi's fictional existence, spoke things she has no knowledge of."

''Precisely Ayanokouji-kun.''

Sakayanagi looked me in the eye and nodded. It feels strange. From my point of view, she should be the character in my dream, so what's the deal with this inception setup, and why in the heck am I having a conversation about existential dread.

''Ah, I don't know what's going on anymore. Well, this place isn't real, but it's too strange to be a dream, isn't it? But what should we do?"

Kei sighed. I'm beginning to realize that this place is extraordinarily deviant, but I have no idea how to deal with it.