12

*Huff* Huff* My lungs burn as I try to gasp for air. The smoke from afar clouds the sky.

'This can't be happening. No. No. This is not happening.' I chanted as I ran towards my home.

Deafening shrieks mixed with the smoke and chaos. Everyone was running. Terrified.

"Momma!!" I saw little Anya sitting on the ground. A pair of monstrous eyes stalked towards the little girl.

"Momma!!" She cried out. I took every ounce of strength and dashed towards her and grabbed... rolling... Ugh. I managed to snatch Anya away but...

*Grrrrr....* The monster cornered us, it's company joined him and I don't know what to do. I am... scared. The girl in my arms continued to cry.

"Don't worry, I'm here. I won't let them hurt you."

"Lies. Lies." She whispered and as I looked at her, she became bloodied and lifeless, yet her mouth moved. "It is your fault. Why did you do it? It is your fault." One by one the corpse stood up chanting the same terrifying thing. I backed away as far as I could, unable to stand up. Is it my fault?

"Nee-chan?" I turned around to find Riri and the kids from the Orphanage.

"No. Don't come any closer."

"Are you alright?"

"No. Stay away!" But still, they are walking towards me. "No. This can't be. No!" A shadow burst and...

"Nee-chan." They.. They are full of blood.

"No..."

"What are you doing?" A brown wolf asked, its silver eyes gleaming in the dark. "You are not my mate."

"It is my fault." It bares its canines ready to attack.

I couldn't move. This is my fault. I should not run anymore. I must suffer from my mistakes. They were victims. I am the killer.

*Snarl* He should protect them from me.

*Growl*

He lunged at me and...

"What did I tell you?"

I froze seeing the man in front of me.

"I will never leave you."

"Duke... Why?" Aiden killed Duke. Why? Why?!!

"Laine!" I gasped awake, hands trembling. "Duke."

"I'm here. It will be alright." He is alive. "It's just a dream."

"But... you were..." Wasn't it true?

"You're ok." He held me tightly under his arms. Trying to reassure me. I tried to calm myself, my eyes stare outside the window. There was a thunderstorm forming.

"It'll be ok." But I know, it's not.

"Are you sure you're going?" Duke asked for the nth time. I don't have the energy to argue right now.

"Yes."

"What about that?" He pointed at the cloudy sky.

I sighed. Closing my eyes and I heave a deep breath. The clouds slowly dissipate.

"Happy?"

"No. Maybe, I should come with you." The image of my nightmare flashed in my mind.

"No!" Both of us were startled.

"Is it because of him?" He sighed. "I won't insist. But I will call you every now and then. You better pick up."

"Fine." I stepped out of the door and started walking using the long way. I need time to get my head off that dream. I don't want to let anyone kill because of me. That is just... I just can't.A blue sedan stopped just a little ahead of me.

"Hey." The man in my dream or nightmare greeted. Aiden, not again. "Get in." That's the most respectful way to offer a ride, note the sarcasm. Not wanting to be rude as his wordings, I hopped in.

I buckled up before he could ask me to. I'm not into that kind of drama.

"Where's Kaiser?" I awkwardly break the silence.

"He's on some other task."

"You're staying downtown?"

"Only for a week."

"Hmmm..." That was a failed attempt of conversation.

So, I did not insist on it and just let the silence echo. This distance made me really aware of him that I almost always want to just stare at him. It is just the mate bond but... still.We arrived shortly but somehow I wished not, our little silence together is calmer than usual and I think, I will know him just a little bit more.