13

We head inside yet with another silence. I trail a little beside him.
"Why do you want to adopt in this orphanage? There are other places near your pack." I don't expect him to answer. I was just curious.

"This place is specially under the guardian's protection."

"This place is not as popular as you may think." There are still others with special facilities and more staff.

"But this place is where the guardian was often seen." Was I always here before? Hmm... well I visit the mountain but not particularly the orphanage.

"You want to meet the guardian?" Depending on his answer, I may reveal myself. I'm just not fond of being known as such.

"Waahhh!!" The cry came from the toddler's room. We rushed inside.

"What happened?!"

Theo was carrying Nala who kept on her outburst. "Theo? What are you...?"

"Riri is on– off." Nala's loud cry drowns his voice. "So, I volun–"

"Aahhhh!!!"

"Come here." Aiden took her and in a second she was calm again. Does Nala think that he is someone from her family? Maybe his scent is similar to one, though, I don't know his.

"He is really good with children. Amazing." Theo murmured.

"Unbelievable, right?"

"Huh? Oh... Uhm..."

"So, what were you saying about Riri?"

"Miriel said that Riri is having a day-off, so I volunteered to help on her shift."

"Well, she deserved it. And... Thank you for volunteering."

"Huh? Thanks for coming. I was hopeless with Nala."

"Excuse me," Annie with the other kids piled in front of Aiden. They flinched when he looked at them. Some kids are about to cry. "Where is-- Mr. Kai?"

"He's not here." He answered in a low voice so Nala would not be startled.

"He will not come?"

"No. He has some things to do."

The kids' face saddened.

"What's wrong? Why are you looking for him?"

Annie faced me. "We want to hear stories."

"He said he will tell the stories."

"I want to hear stories."

"Me, too."

"Stories. Stories. Stories." They chanted.

I don't know any good stories. I can't just tell them anything about war.

"What story did Mr. Kai tell you?"

"The moon goddess gives power to the guardian." Raegan excitedly started.

"The guardian was a good werewolf then the moon goddess said..." I subconsciously furrowed my brows. A good werewolf?

"You are a good werewolf so you will be the guardian." The other impersonated.

"Hey! I should say that."

"Hehe. Sorry."

"Then, the guardian helps the werewolves be happy." I bit my lip yet held a smile. That's the children's story.