24

I held his hand. His sickness is part of my karma. He is unable to live a normal life because of me.

"Laine." I turned to him, who is now awake.

"Hi."

"Hi."

"I'm here, I won't leave you." I promised. I think he was the one who told me this before.

'My Laine.' he whispered in our mindlink and he smiled before closing his eyes again and continuing his sleep. His expression is more at ease.

"That is incredible." I turned to Dela who just got back. "I have heard of it but I haven't witnessed it first hand."

"What?"

"You can pass your lifeforce."

I can what...?

The days passed by and I am certain they were curious about the King's disappearance. He is doing well but I am not allowing him to handle any work. Dela went back to their kingdom seeing how he was doing. But both of us know what is happening.

"We still can't find any hard evidence against the council." Eros sighed, slumping on the chair.

"They are very careful. We tried to catch them in the act several times but it was no use."

"Hey, I told you to stop thinking about it." I reminded him for the nth time. I grabbed a pillow and threw it at him.

"Hey!" He laughed. He threw it back, I dodged, causing it to hit the one standing behind me, Duke.

"Stop this childishness." He said putting away the pillow. He arrived a few days ago, he said he wanted to investigate the Southern Coven too and their connection with the council.

"It's just like the old days, eh?" Eros commented. Old days?

"The four of us are having a secret meeting in this once shabby cabin." It was about 15 years ago. 

"It was a good thing that you two found it." Duke and Valen were always quarelling before and I don't know how they ended up in this place. Despite being a vampire guardian, Duke can still shift to his wolf form. Maybe they were arguing about who is faster. Ugh. 

*Knock.Knock*

There is contentment in simple things. A small peace in this battle. Yet, for all I know, it doesn't last.

"Please excuse my intrusion, your visitor is here." The guard told Duke.

"Let him in."

I wasn't looking but I think... I stopped breathing. This presence...

"I would like to introduce our ally." I turned to confirm and all I ever want was to turn to dust. "So, you've come, Alpha Aiden." Valen addressed the visitor. Wait, Valen knows? Am I the only one in the dark.

I immediately eyed at the King. 'What the hell?!'

'I promise there's a very good reason.' He answered in our link.

I calmed myself. There must be a good reason. There must be! He knows very well how this will end up if there's none.

"I suppose we do not need any introduction." He started as we sat around a table. How did it end up like this?

"No but I need an explanation." I eyed at the trio. First Valen kind'a dislike Duke, Duke hates Aiden, Aiden basically is gonna dethrone Valen. And for the most part I have three of my previous mates here! So what now?

"I know. We should have told you." Valen said. "It was so sudden and with the recent events..." he paused. Right, he knows about the rejection.

I turned to Duke. 'You didn't tell him about the curse, did you?' I said through the mindlink.