THIRTY NINE

Alexandra gave both Jeremy and Rebekah a lame excuse for not showing up at school. She didn't want anyone to know of her plan yet. However, she also knew that she might need some help. She needed someone who wouldn't be biased with it against her. She'd deiced her next step after the meeting. "Baby steps." She thought to herself as she headed to the cemetery.

She walked between the tombstones with a heavy heart. She hated coming here, the place only have her goosebumps and the visit left her unsettled and jittery for days. Alexandra never handled death all that well.

"You're here."

Alexandra heard Esther's voice, startling her, and making the muscles of her shoulders stiffen. She kept her hands inside the pockets of her sweatshirt and turned to Esther, "As we agreed." She mustered all the strength she had before showing up here. She really wanted to sound and look like a tough nut to crack.

"A quality I respect."

"Tell me what I want to know."

"Only if you agree to aid me in my work."

"I need to know about the spell before I make any promises." Alexandra retorted firmly.

"There was a prophecy, a woman who was once a dear friend of mine, a mentor too."

Before Esther could continue, Alexandra interrupted her with the conclusion. "Ayanna."

Esther nodded her head, "She said a soul will be born onto this earth and save my son from his own misery. She'd give a light to his eternal darkness. She would be his redemption and his savior."

Alexandra raised an eyebrow, "Let me guess, she thought that would be me?" The idea wasn't just ridiculous, it was absurd. "Do you have any idea how stupid this sounds?"

"It's what Ayanna had said. She's always watching over him. She looks into his future hoping for that meeting with this soul. Then he saw you, and she knew it had to be you." Esther continued her explanation. Her eyes were focused on one particular tombstone.

"And so she did this Life-Bond spell."

Esther nodded, her eyes casted down as if she's sad. "She thinks you can save him. A pathetic notion if you ask me." She looked up, "There's no saving for Niklaus, I've been watching him too and the horrors he caused."

Alexandra didn't care for Esther's opinion, it wasn't one to be taken anyway. So, she interrupted her, "But don't you think that the Life-Bond thing is a little overboard?"

"It was the only way to tie you to him and him to you. The bond acts like a magnet pulling you to each other. And you would forever be stuck on his field, unless..." The drawl in her tone was easy for Alexandra to understand where it would lead. 

"Unless the bond is broken." Esther nodded. So, Alexandra asked her next question, "So how will you break the bond?"

"A few drops from your blood along with a certain spell that I have created and all shall be well in the world once more." Esther explained easily.

"And then you'll kill him and his siblings, your children might I add." Alexandra said with narrowed, suspicious eyes.

"The existence of vampires has long since caused havoc. They are an imbalance, and Niklaus is the worst imbalance there is." Esther took a step closer, "What I'm offering you is your life. You get to live and your life will be your own. What could be better than that?"

"Why are you doing this? The only reason you spared me a glance was because of my importance to do the binding spell. But now you're offering to free me and still go on with your plan?" She shook her head, "I didn't take you for a good-doer."