Chapter 17 - It Was Always Us

WARNINGS: panic attack

Hitoshi was discharged from the hospital later that day. The car ride home was a bit of a tight squeeze, and Shota decided it was probably time for a car upgrade. 

When they opened the front door, Hitoshi honed in on the bedsheet spread out along the entrance hall's floor. He peeled up the corner, dropping it back down when a deep patch of reddy-brown was exposed to the light.

"The stain remover didn't work well." Hanta muttered, placing a hand on Hitoshi's lower back and urging him along. 

"My bad." He sighed. He could barely move his torso due to the bandages, so doing anything was made into an awkward dance of limited movements. He couldn't even tie his own shoelaces. 

"Bedroom or living room?" Hanta asked.

"Erm... bedroom." Hanta nodded and began helping him up the stairs, ignoring the complaints from Neito as he dragged in their bags from the hospital visit. 

After some struggle and cursing, Hitoshi finally plopped down on his bed, reclining into the pillows and comforters. "God, I missed this." 

"I bet." Hanta chuckled, fetching Hitoshi's bag from Neito for a moment, then returning to start unpacking it. It was mostly just pairs of dirty socks and hoodies, which he tossed onto the floor by the door to be washed. "You need anything?"

"I think I'm good." Hitoshi looked around, trying to think of anything, then turned back to Hanta. "Actually..." 

Hanta raised an eyebrow at him, but when Hitoshi didn't develop further he rolled his eyes. "Yes?"

"We haven't hung out in ages."

"I've been at the hospital with you."

"Yeah but like, what happened to our horror movie marathons?" 

Hanta opened his mouth, but just as quickly closed it. Hitoshi was right. Ever since their dads had let them watch horror, they'd both been into the suspense and jump scares of scary films - something Neito hated with a passion, which led to it usually just being the two of them, Shota joining on occasion. 

A smile overtook Hanta's face and he reached for Hitoshi's laptop on the desk. "You pick something, I'll fetch snacks."

"On it." Hitoshi opened the laptop and went straight to Netflix. 

Hanta wondered if he should invite Neito and Midoriya for the sake of good sportsmanship, but when he caught a glimpse of them watching 'Madagascar' on the TV, he thought better of it. 

Maybe when they're older, he thought.

*******

Shota furiously tapped his foot against the kitchen floor.

Just before Hitoshi had been discharged, Hanta and Midoriya had pulled him aside to talk privately and he did not like what they had to say.

But what he hated more was that they could very well be right.

"Sho?" Hizashi sat down at the table with two cups of coffee, one significantly stronger than the other. It was fairly obvious who that was for.

"I mean, what if they're right? What if Blue Crossed isn't targeting the Todorokis? What if we are the end goal?"

"Then I think we did the right thing by stopping them from attending school. But..." Hizashi drummed his fingers along the table, avoiding Shota's eyes.