Chapter 24 - Divide and Conquer

WARNINGS: blood/wounds, vomit/vomiting, SEVERING OF LIMB

READ LAST PART WITH CAUTION - CAN BE SKIPPED IF NEEDED (will be signposted)

Midoriya felt his heart come to a sudden stop.

The shadowed figure hadn't spoken yet, but their blue gaze was unwavering. 

In the corner of his eye, he could see Neito hugging his arm to his chest. The skin around the mark had turned a concerning shade of grey, and his veins from the wrist up started to glow a brilliant white beneath the surface. He felt sick at the sight. 

"Well." A distorted voice called softly. "Look what we have here."

Shota's head snapped to the side and his eyes narrowed on the silhouette, the mere shell of a person. 

Blue Crossed.

"Hey, Sho'."

And his world came to a screeching halt. 

No. No. No. No.

Shota couldn't find the words to express his... hate? Sorrow? Disgust?

"I hope you missed me." 

Blue Crossed came to a stop when they were halfway between the end of the road and the family. Their mask turned slightly to the side. "Oh? And what do we have here?" 

Kaminari squirmed and subconsciously huddled into the person beside him. Using his good arm, Hitoshi pushed the boy behind himself, hand tracing down his arm and weaving their fingers together. Kaminari's other hand came to rest on the taller boy's waist. 

Blue Crossed threw their head back in a forced laugh. "You can't hide from me, rat. You let our team down. You let your uncle, your family, down. You have been nothing but disappointment and a liability. And now I know where your loyalties lie." Even with the mask, Kaminari could feel the weight of their glare. 

"Bastard." Shota spat. 

"Now, now, Hero! Language." They chided, clasping their hands behind their back. "You must be wondering why I'm here."

"Only because you usually send some devout follower to do your dirty work for you, coward." Shota's voice was harsh and unforgiving. 

"You wound me." They placed a hand where their heart supposedly was, though Shota was having trouble believing they had such a thing. "And here I was hoping we could reach some sort of agreement."

"We want nothing to do with you." Hizashi said. "What do you want with us?" 

"Wouldn't you like to know!" They hopped from foot to foot and sang their response. Neito took a step closer to Hizashi and pulled Hanta with him, along with Midoriya. 

Something wasn't right. The dancing, the singing, the taunting. It was unnerving. 

"Tell me, Neito Monoma," the mask continued, "How is your arm?" The blond cradled it closer to him. Beneath the skin, his veins throbbed with pain. "That's what I thought. I can't say I'm sorry, though, your sacrifice has meant our research has progressed in leaps and bounds. It's just a shame you'll have to pay the price."

The sound Neito let out was almost inhumane as he collapsed to his knees in agony, his nails almost breaking the skin as he clutched his arm. 

"Stop!" Shota yelled, hurtling his capture weapon towards Blue Crossed. 

But in a flash of light, the enemy was gone. 

Reality fizzled behind the Pro, and an arm materialised, the elbow coming down hard on the back of his head. He fell forwards and shuffled around as black dots speckled his vision.