Chapter 23 - The Empty Hourglass

Shota was ready to throw fists.

All he had wanted to do was go home, eat something, maybe have a bath, and then go to bed.

But no.

He had seen them as soon as he turned onto his street.

Paparazzi.

They swarmed outside his house like vultures, waiting to go in for the kill. Had they no class? He watched as they tripped over each other, snapping photos of the generic looking house front and trampling all over his lawn.

He gritted his teeth. He'd mowed that lawn that morning.

"WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?" He'd shouted so loud something pricked with pain in his chest. He noticed the curtains in the house twitched, a flash of blond hair before disappearing again. "GET THE HELL AWAY FROM MY HOUSE!" His eyes glowed red with fury and his hair acted on its own, spreading out the sides like it did in battle and training. 

He swore his eye twitched when one reporter broke away from the pack and moved towards him, a mic held out and waved in his face.

"Mr. Eraserhead, sir, can you comment on the latest?"

If looks could kill, Shota would have murdered this man. "What latest?" He spat.

"It's being said that you're housing the boy who stole All Might's Quirk. Is this true?"

Shota could feel the blood drain from his cheeks. "Stole what?"

"The Quirk known as One For All. Is this true? Would that mean you're hiding a fugitive?" And the questions kept on coming. A pissed Shota pushed his way through the mob and just before he reached the front door it swung open and a stray arm pulled him inside.

"What the-" Before he could get the rest of his sentence out, Hizashi slammed the door shut and locked it.

"Goodness gracious." He muttered.

"What in God's name is going on?" Shota toed his shoes off and threw his scarf onto the floor. It was all tangled and like hell was he in the mood to sort it out.

"Word has got out about the his Quirk."

"What? How?" Shota felt the anger rising once again.

"We don't know. None of the boys have said anything and Kaminari didn't know until an hour ago." Hizashi smoothed his hair down and tied it back. "Who else knew?"

Shota thought for a moment. "All Might, obviously, but other than that-" His breath caught in his throat and he stared wide eyed at his husband. "Shit."

"...what?"

"One other person knew, but... I don't know whether he would do something like that. It would mean he was..." Shota shook his head, stopping his train of thought. There was no way he was a traitor.

There couldn't possibly.

Could there?

*******

"Long time no see." Dabi grinned, sliding into the booth in the back corner of a rundown bar. A middle aged man with gnarled face and yellowed teeth smiled back at him.

"Dabi!" He greeted jovially. "How is all, my boy?"

"All is good." He said quietly.

The man looked as though he was thinking about that deeply. "Well, it can't be that good." He looked down at the beer he was swirling in his glass. "Not if you wanted to speak to me."