Chapter 21 - An Educated Guess

It had been decided - with much encouragement from Recovery Girl and some reluctance from Neito - that the safest place for Kaminari to stay at this moment in time would be the Aizawas. He couldn't go back to living under his uncle's roof, not whilst he was conspiring with the greatest Villain Musutafu has known in years. More questions had been asked since they left Recovery Girl's office, and now a team of Pros were on their way to arrest the old man that Kaminari resented. This was the best lead they had since the beginning of the investigation, and they were planning on wringing them both dry of information before the week was through. In the meantime, however, Kaminari was given the opportunity to take a breather and collect his thoughts in the safety of a proper home. 

Things had been tense around the house since his arrival, given the circumstances of his entrance, it was no surprise some certain individuals didn't trust him - he doesn't really trust him either. All he could do was hope that he'd done the right thing. He couldn't bear knowing he was the cause of all the suffering this family - and so many more like them - had gone through.

But what had shaken them all to the core was what Shota had to say once he'd come down from his panicked high.

He claimed to know who Blue Crossed was. And his idea has stunned them all.

A woman called Shion Aizawa. Shota's older sister.

None of the Aizawa boys had been aware of this supposed aunt they had lurking about somewhere, even Recovery Girl seemed perplexed by the accusation.

According to him, she'd left Japan roughly twenty years ago, before Shota had graduated from U.A. She had completely disappeared off the radar since then, severing all connections between herself and her family - consisting of just their mother and Shota. Their father had left the scene shortly after Shota was born, moving across the country and effectively out of their lives and minds. Well, not Shion's, apparently. She never directly said it, but Shota always knew that she blamed him for their father's leaving, despite what Yua had told them about him wanting to pursue other goals in life than being a father and fiancé.

Then mutual resentment had grown rapidly between the siblings ever since Shota's Quirk manifested. None of them were expecting the boy to have a Quirk, since both Shion and Yua were Quirkless and their father had never mentioned anything about having his own power. As Shota's ability continued to develop and he found himself with his sights set on U.A., a top Hero academy, Shion's hate had reached an all-time high. She began disappearing at night, and once she'd finished her studies at age 18, she left the country and never returned.

Until now, supposedly.

"And you guys didn't know about her?" Kaminari asked, picking at the peel of an orange he'd already finished off.

Hanta stared at the lounge ceiling. "No. I thought Dad was an only kid." He noticed the way Kaminari seemed to pause for a moment, then blinked away his initial surprise.

"I had no idea you lived with Aizawa sensei. You never said anything."

Hanta shrugged, feeling a tad guilty for lying to his friend for so long. Well, I guess we're even now... "It was easier not to say anything. It's kinda... complicated." He waved his hand through the air indifferently. "I guess I could say the same for you, though."

Kaminari chuckled, low and dry. "Touché."

Hanta picked himself up from being sprawled across the floor and slumped into the couch beside Kaminari. "Do you wanna talk about it?"

The blond looked at him for a long moment, then let out a tired sigh. "My mom died when I was little. Some sort of accident involving a Villain attack. I never really found out the details, but I'm not sure I want to." He paused, thoughtfully. "I never knew my father. He took off when he found out Mom was pregnant. But anyway, after Mom died, I wound up living with her brother, my uncle. He wasn't... He used to be a good man. He was always kind to me, and I was happy there. But something changed, one day. I don't know what it was, but something snapped, and he slowly became the monster he is now."