Chapter 25 - The Way We Fall Apart

WARNINGS: blood, broken bone

It's funny if you think about it.

The stars.

Majestic beings of the Universe beyond.

They see everything, even when the Sun hides them from view.

Some believe they predict the future, whilst others are adamant they define our personality.

Some think they bring luck, while others know that really, they're just distant flames in an ocean of endless lights.

Shota lay, staring up at them. Never once had the stars helped him, just like all those inspirational quotes on billboards that were nothing more than the meaningless prattling of executives being paid to write something that doesn't really make sense, but we all pretend it does.

If you want to find hope, you have to find it yourself.

While the farmer prays for rain, the surfer wished for sun.

You can't please everybody. You just can't. It's impossible.

And yet still people try.

The Heroes, for example. They use their gifts and lives to save those who can't save themselves, but what about those who do not wished to be protected?

And what about those you save, who turn out to be the monsters you swore to slay?

Shota pressed a hand to the back of his head. His hair was matted with blood where Blue Crossed had stuck him.

No. Not Blue Crossed.

Shion.

Shion Aizawa.

His sister that had been gone from his life for years.

He watcher her out the corner of his eye. Long, black hair slicked back with grease. While Shota's hair held a natural curl, hers was straight and limp.

"Why are you doing this?" He grunted. His chest ached with every breath, and he swears he could feel one of his ribs rattle with the quake of his voice.

"You." She said.

"Does she know who you are?"

Shion paused. "Yes. Mother knows."

Shota froze. She knew. She knew all along.

"Don't beat yourself up about it." Her voice carried a trace of venom. "You were always simple minded. In comparison to myself, anyway." Shota didn't say anything. There was no point in playing into her delusions. She made a curt gasp and dropped the tool she was prodding a piece of tech with. "It's finished!"

She grabbed the matt black shell of whatever it was. Shota had no clue what it was meant to be, though the way she approached him had his heart pounding with fear.

"Hold still, Shota." She whispered. "This won't hurt a bit."

*******

"You!"

Hizashi filled his lungs and prepared to yell. He turned slowly and squinted into the gloom. The shadows of the night made it hard to see who had called to him, but was evidence enough that he was being watched. Even if they hadn't of shouted, their presence was looming in the air, threatening and merciless.

A dark figure stepped into the white street light, black coat billowing behind them and staples glinting in the artificial glow.

"What do you want?" Hizashi asked.