Chapter 6 (Second Chance)

A nightmare for every pregnant woman happened to me almost one week ago. Waking up with a flat tummy. The doctor said that they cannot save the baby; the heartbeat already stops at the moment I arrive at the hospital. I lie down hopelessly while waiting for the baby to come out itself. 

     I keep crying even though I know I shouldn’t; I don’t deserve the baby. Jungkook should be the one feeling sad. He has been taking care of me since the day we knew the baby in my tummy. 

     Jungkook sent a letter two days after I delivered the baby. He blamed himself. He wrote that if he believes me and lends the money first, our baby is still here. Never once, he put the blame on me. Along with the letter, he gave me our contract. Starting from today, I’m free and he will post the divorce letter after they settle everything with the lawyer. 

     "Are you okay?" Jihyo asked, pulling me back into reality. I've been waiting for her to finish her shift in our pantry, so that she can bring me back to my old home. She put two food containers on the table. She opens one of them and pushes another one to me. I opened it.

     The food looks so pale, there is only white rice with a couple of green vegetables. I don't recognize its name. "Eww. What is this?" I nitpicked. 

     "Eat this. Postpartum food," Jihyo chuckles.

     "But why? I am just a few weeks pregnant. I don’t need this but I want that," I snatched the fried drumstick from her plate and shoved it into my mouth. Chewing on the tender meat that I have been longing for these few weeks. Jungkook didn’t allow me to eat fried food. 

     "Are you happy now?" Jihyo asked, maybe because she saw me smile.

     "Yeah. I will be a free woman after this. I can eat whatever I want. No need to drink milk again. The best thing is, I can say goodbye to my morning sickness," I listed all the things that I hated during my pregnancy. 

     "Good job, Y/N," Jihyo praised. She patted my back when the tears fell down on the table. I have to say that mean thing to cover the deep wound inside my heart. I lost my child, how can I be happy about that? I know she understands what I tried to say, and she played along with me. 

***********************

The details about our divorce finally arise after two months waiting for it. Leon contacted me yesterday to arrange a meeting today in order to complete the divorce paper. After two months, this is the first time I will see Jungkook and probably this is also the last time for us.  

     We agreed to meet at the hospital's cafeteria as I cannot leave my work. Been sitting alone here for almost fifteen minutes, my finger kept touching our wedding ring. Never once, I pull it out from my finger because I'm afraid that I will lose it. I was more terrified after I saw the price after Jungkook handed me the box and receipt. Promising to myself, I will not be involved in debt anymore. Working hard using all my limbs is the option I have now. 

     My view was blocked by a man standing in front of me. "Can I talk to you for a couple of minutes?" asked Dr Jin, the doctor that treats Ally.  

     Invite him to sit down. I asked, "Is everything okay with Ally?"  

     Nervous when his face brings down to mind how other doctors react when they want to tell us something bad. I have to embrace whatever news he wants to hit me with.  

     "Right now, Ally’s body is resistant to the current antibiotics that we start," he informed. 

     Resistance is the word that most of us are afraid of, especially for a patient like Ally. My tears want to gush out as I know what the next news he wants to tell.