|17| First mission.

A few hours later I found myself aboard a quinjet, flying under the cover of night somewhere above the Indian Ocean towards the SHIELD ship that was our target. We were all gathered around some kind of monitor, although I made sure to keep myself at the back whilst Natasha and Steve stood right at the front. The leader of STRIKE, who I'd since come to learn is called Rumlow, was leading the final debrief.

"Target is a mobile satellite launch platform, the Lemurian Star. They were sending up their last payload when pirates took them, 93 minutes ago." Great, so they've had some time to get situated.

"Any demands?" My breath hitched slightly at the sound of Steve's voice but I quickly covered it up with a small cough. I need to remain focused now more than ever, other people are relying on me.

"Billion and a half" Rumlow replied casually, as though that wasn't an unbelievable amount of money.

"Why so steep?" Steve was quick to counter.

"Because it's SHIELD's." There it is. The other shoe dropped, not that I was waiting for one.

"So it's not off course. It's trespassing." I could hear Steve was annoyed from his tone and for the first time I found myself agreeing with him, as much as I hated to admit. My first mission and I've already been lied to about the nature of my objective.

"I'm sure they have a good reason." Natasha's tone was a complete contrast, totally laid back and uncaring. It felt like she already knew about this, or that she at least knew more than she was letting on. I bet that's why she stayed behind in Fury's office.

"You know, I'm getting a little tired of being Fury's janitor." He wasn't letting it go. And it seems as though this isn't the first time he's been sent on a mission with only half the truth.

"Relax. It's not that complicated." Natasha was quick to put a stop to his annoyed ramble, or what would have become one.

"How many pirates?" Steve continued, although I saw his eyes linger on Natasha for a second before. She still didn't seem to care though.

Rumlow continued on, cutting the tension that had started to form. "25. Top mercy's led by this guy. Georges Batroc. Ex-DGSE, Action Division. He's at the top of Interpol's Red Notice. Before the French demobilised him, he had 36 kill missions. This guy's got a rep for maximum casualties."

"Hostages?" Steve continued, busying himself with his gloves.

"Oh, mostly techs. One officer. Jasper Sitwell. They're in the galley." At Rumlow's words Steve looked up with an eyebrow raised.

"What's Sitwell doing on a launch ship?" When he got no answer, seeming as though he was thinking out loud, he continued on with the plan. "All right, I'm gonna sweep the deck and find Batroc. Nat, you kill the engines and wait for instructions. Rumlow, you sweep aft, find the hostages, get them to the life-pods, get them out. Let's move."

"STRIKE, you heard the Cap. Gear up."

I couldn't help but watch on expectantly, waiting for Steve to catch my gaze since he'd forgotten to give me an order. As everyone started busying themselves he finally saw me stood at the back. "Oh and Orlova, you can just help with hostages." His tone was flat, as though he really couldn't be bothered with me. Better than anger but still not what I was hoping for.

Natasha and Steve headed over to the side for some last minute preparations, but I made sure to keep some distance, although I could still hear them talking as I pulled on my parachute.

"Secure channel 7" Steve said through the comms.

"7 Secure. You could be a little nicer to her you know?" I could only just hear her voice, most of her words muffled by the sounds of the engine and the commotion around me.