|34| Can you be near?

Just before you begin reading, I wanted to let you know that I'm going away on Monday, hence why this chapter is out earlier than usual. At this point I've nearly finished writing the following one, so hopefully it'll be ready for the following Monday since I'm going to try and stick to that being my day for weekly publishings.

———————————————————————————————

When the sun rose, and light began to creep back into the jet, I noticed that we were no longer flying over the sea. But instead thick forest. That was when I realised that I had no idea where we were going. I hadn't asked because for the last few hours I'd still been in shock at the fact we were out of prison. Something that I had lost all hope for, and yet it had still happened.

I hadn't slept at all, only sat with my head leant back and eyes closed for most of the journey. It didn't come with quite as many benefits as actual sleep, but it was a lot better than just sitting and staring at a wall.

"We've got about ten minutes left guys," Clint shouted over his shoulder from the cockpit, where Nat was still sat beside him.

Nobody seemed as confused as me when I looked around, so since Bucky was sat closest to me, I decided I'd ask what was going on. I wasn't really in the mood for a surprise. "Buck" I sort of whisper shouted. His head snapped up at the sound of my voice, worry etched in his features since it was the first word I'd said in hours.

"Are you okay?" He hastily questioned, undoing his seatbelt to move next to me. I didn't get a chance to talk before he was slumped down beside me. "What's wrong?"

My answer wasn't immediate since I was taken aback by his friendliness with me. I knew Bucky but he didn't know me, he'd forgotten about everything we'd been through together. Hadn't he?

"No, nothings wrong. I'm fine. I was just wondering where we're going?"

He instantly relaxed at my words. "Oh. Has nobody told you?"

"No, and I don't really want it to be a surprise." Hoping to lighten the mood a little I added, " I haven't had much luck with them recently."

I was glad to see a small smile creep onto his face. "We're going to Wakanda. I thought T'Challa was going to kill me, but he changed his mind. He offered to put me back on ice until they've figured out a way to get rid of the words in my head."

His sudden mention of the same weakness that we both shared made my body shiver. "Oh...do you-" I cut myself off mid thought, wondering how to ask the questions.

"Do I what?" He urged.

I decided to just go for it, "do you think they'd do the same for me? Put me on ice until they can get rid of my words too?"

His eyebrows furrowed instantly and I saw the look of regret in his eyes. He hadn't intended for me to have that reaction, in fact he hadn't even thought that that would be my response. "I-I'm not sure Y/n, its quite a serious decision to make. I think you should talk to Nat about it rather than me."

"Why? I'd be doing the right thing. If I get rid of the words then she'll be safe again."

Bucky sighed, "Y/n I wish you'd stop believing that. Nobody can trigger you unless they know those words. I doubt many people do."

"Maybe, but one person knowing is more than enough. I want them gone."

"I know you do, but there's no telling how long it could take. I don't think Nat would survive with you on ice for so long."

"Well, how long could it take?"

"Worst case...years."

My breath hitched instantly. The thought of leaving Nat alone for years made my whole body recoil. She told Clint that she couldn't live without me, and being frozen was just as bad as being dead. If not worse, since there would always be that lingering chance I could wake up soon that would eat away at her every thought. It would be torture for her to see me like that, although that wasn't enough for me to write it off altogether.