|50| Where did everybody go?

Nat and I stood side by side as we watched on in anticipation.

With Bucky to my left, Nat to my right and the many armies of Wakanda surrounding us, I felt somewhat ready for whatever was to come, no matter what it would be.

"Miss Romanoff, please, come with me" King T'Challa gracefully ordered, before asking Steve to do the same. They were going to head towards the edge of the field in order to speak with the enemy, most likely as a last ditch effort to prevent an outright war, although it was just likely to cause a delay of it at most.

"I love you" I exclaimed quickly, before we shared a kiss, after which she repeated those words back to me before catching up to T'Challa and Rogers. At least that way if she didn't manage to get back to me before all hell broke loose, we'd shared a parting sentiment. It wasn't a goodbye though, no way. Because we were going to come out of the other side of this alive and somewhat well at least.

Our entire army watched on in anticipation as the three of them approached the edge of the force field. On the other side stood one of the two abnormally tall alien-like things we'd encountered in Scotland, and beside them, the daunting figure of Thanos. I could perceive just how thick his armour was from where I stood a good distance away.

Their talk was all of ten seconds long before something shifted on the horizon, growing to loom far above the line of trees off into the distance. They were built somewhat like pyramids, but thinner, made totally of some silver metal and they grew to a height equal to that of the skyscrapers that graced the New York City skyline.

My eyes were only torn from watching their absurdity when I realised that Nat and the other two had turned away and were now heading back towards us.

"They surrender?" Bucky questioned, his tone regretful as though he knew the answer but didn't want to hear it.

Nat and Steve slotted back into their previous positions before the latter of the two replied, "not exactly."

Distant rumblings, followed by what could only be described as screeches from wild animals sounded from beyond the force field, signalling just how far our opposition were from surrendering. Instead, they'd chosen to launch their attack, to be the ones to start the fight.

T'Challa paced a few steps ahead of us all before coming to a halt, his stance confident as he shouted out in Wakandan. His many armies were quick to chant his words back, whilst also producing loud thuds with their weapons against the ground.

The atmosphere of it all had my heart racing even faster than it had been, and the already tight grip on the handles of the knives in my belt growing even tighter.

Then all of a sudden, from the thick line of trees I'd been training my eyes on, emerged herds upon herds of these other worldly type creatures. They sprinted across the grassland in record time, moving on all fours and stumbling to push past each other.

"What the hell?" I uttered, unable to hide my total confusion and growing disgust at whatever the hell it was that was heading for us.

Nat turned her head to Steve slightly, "looks like we pissed her off."

That managed to lighten the mood for all of a second before the reality of what we were about to face closed in on us hard and fast once more. It was unnerving, watching the enemy run at you in such vast numbers and having no clue what the hell they were. My mind was working in overdrive to try and analyse their form and function, questioning whether my weapons would work against them and where their weak spots likely were. But most of all, all I could think was fuck. What, where, how and why?

But before I could even come to terms with answering those, the strange creatures reached the last barrier that protected us from them.

The force fields, no matter how strong, weren't enough to hold off Thanos' army as they relentlessly tested its bounds. Loud bangs reverberated up the sides of the blue wall as the strange creatures rushed at it without mercy. Some would partially pass through it, only for its strength to overcome the forces holding their tissues together, and their limbs would be seared off in a mere second.