|56| Will you let me try again?

2 months, 14 days since 'The Garden'.

Nat had been gone for ten long, painful days. The only true company I'd had in that time was the car repair man and Steve, who only came by to get some washing done. The Captain and I aren't exactly close friends, or friends at all for that matter, so we only shared some awkward small talk before he made himself scarce. As lonely as I'd been feeling, I was relieved when he left.

Sure, its been a good few years now since he made my everyday a living nightmare in that cell, but the mind and body don't forget as quickly as time passes.

On a brighter note, Nat kept to her promise of notifying me of exactly what she was doing and when. From what I could gather, the so called vigilante that they'd been hunting had gone quiet, so now they were gathering information about what he'd been up to prior to disappearing into thin air. My woman was one hell of a detective, although I think I already knew that.

She always knew it was me when the last chocolate went missing.

I paid great attention to her every word when we spoke over the phone, as well as rereading her messages throughout the day when she hadn't had time to call. The distance between us at such an integral time only seemed to stress the importance of my getting my act together, and so I took her method of keeping in touch as a lesson, as well as a gift. Because from reading between the lines, I could see that she was showing me exactly what she wanted from me, and I wasn't going to take her teachings for granted.

I'd done far too much of that recently, taking her for granted. And I wanted to kick myself over and over for it.

So as practise, I sent her several messages throughout my days just notifying her of small things I was doing, or things that I saw or thought of that made me think of her. Like the orange morning skies that reminded me of her hair, the green of the leaves when their shade matched her eyes or even just one of her favourite songs playing on the radio.

I'd also made quite a lot of progress with my outreach since she'd been gone, not that she really knew about that. It wasn't that I was hiding it from her, but I wasn't doing it to garner praise or boost my ego, so I'd probably just fill her in when she got back and we caught up in person.

But in the meantime, I was just going about my days as per usual, waiting for time to pass.

2 months, 18 days since 'The Garden'.

The sky was still pitch black and blanketed with stars when I suddenly awoke. I'd been heading towards a very familiar nightmare, so my body was dragged from sleep before it could run its course.

Such a defence mechanism made for restless nights, but it was better than restless nights accompanied by screaming and terror.

So, still half asleep, I remained rested on my side facing the large window of our bedroom, watching the peaceful and clear night sky. It was another reason I loved being outside of the city - no light pollution. Nat and I enjoyed trying to decipher the constellations, although that more so meant I just admired her side profile and genius as she so easily picked them out.

My expertise are more focused on combat, methods of poisoning and some other less than useful things that weren't welcome in my new walk of life. Doesn't mean I don't still find them interesting.

My reminiscing was suddenly cut short by the loud shaking of the window, forcing me to sit up in bed and check around the rest of the room. It was most likely an earthquake.

However, that assumption was nullified when I heard the unmistakable sound of a jet engine, it growing louder and louder as it no doubt grew closer.

Who was that?