|22| Do I know you?

A few hours later I found myself holed up in an empty apartment across the street from our target, waiting for him to make an exit. Natasha was leant against the sill of the open window, sniper rifle in hand as she kept checking its positioning. I was only given binoculars to watch our plan unravel, much less fun.

We'd been waiting for what felt like forever, and so I couldn't help the continuous tapping of my foot. I was so nervous. This Jasper Sitwell was a part of it, part of the SHIELD occupants that had been tainted by HYDRA.

I didn't want the others to know my fears. The ones that only seemed to grow and change everyday to outsmart my mind and its ability to rationalise. But I was terrified of the idea of heading towards the organisation I'd so desperately escaped, of walking straight back into their grip and being squeezed dry of any life that I had left within. I tried to tell myself that it wouldn't happen, that if they somehow captured me the Avengers would save me, but it was hard not to laugh at that idea. Many of them would probably be pleased if I disappeared, at least that's what I told myself.

"Y/N" Natasha's quiet voice tamed my conscience, drawing my focus out of the darkness of my mind just before it became all encompassing. I did my best to appear composed and calm when I looked over to her.

"What were you thinking about?" Maybe my thoughts really were loud enough for her to hear this time round, because the specificity of her question caught my still slightly absent mind off guard.

"Nothing. Just trying to stay focused?" A lie of course. My intent stare out of the window had started that way, but the lack of action or change at what I was watching allowed my thoughts to wander. But thankfully Natasha decided not to pry for once. I had no doubt that she saw straight through me though.

"How's your shoulder? Are the painkillers working?" She'd grabbed some from Sam's cupboard for me before we left. They were regular, over the counter pills but they'd managed to take the edge off. Although they'd already started to wear off and I still had three hours until I could take more. But of course I kept those details to myself.

Pain is weakness. They can't think I'm weak.

"It's fine. No pain at all actually." That was most definitely a stretch.

"I know you're lying Y/N. There's no way those pills did anymore than take the edge off." Just as I'd expected, she saw straight through me. But still, I wasn't going to budge.

"It's not like there's anything else I can do to help it. So it's fine, I'm fine Natasha."

Thankfully, before the redhead could press me any further Sam's voice sounded over the comms.

"Sitwell has left the building." At that both Natasha and I's full attention was on the front steps of the building he'd just left, where he was walking alongside the senator and they were surrounded by bodyguards.

After walking down one flight they both stopped to finish a conversation of some kind. Not long after they shared a hug, but as I watched through the binoculars I saw the senator whisper something short and sweet into Sitwell's ear. Unfortunately though, from my distance I couldn't read his lips, especially since his back was almost totally to me.

Once the senator said a final goodbye and walked the rest of the way, Sitwell fished his phone out of his pocket. A call from Sam disguised as Pierce no doubt, so long as the plan was going right. Once he'd checked the caller ID he waved his bodyguards away and after some hesitation they gave in and dispersed. We were all tapped into Sam's phone for the call so we listened in intently.

"Yes, Sir?" Jasper's voice was formal, expecting Pierce's voice on the other end.

"Agent Sitwell, how was lunch? I hear the crab cakes here are delicious." It was amazing to watch his face fall at Sam's response. Priceless.