Preference: You want a hug

A/N: All the characters belong to James Dashner, except for Y/N. The only thing I own is my love for the characters ❤️

Newt

I was awakened by a rough shake, and I slowly opened my eyes to see Newt standing above me.

"Cmon, you're gonna be late." He said, gesturing out my window. I frowned, really confused, till I realized the sun was beginning to rise. I quickly shoved Newt out of my room, changing into my clothes and pulling my shoes on.

I pulled on my Runner's backpack and rushed to the kitchen to make myself a sandwich and pack a bottle of water. Once I had put both in my backpack, I made sure that I had my machete and knife strapped to my back as well. I grabbed an apple to eat while I waited for the doors to open and started walking to the entrance, where Newt was waiting like usual.

I was hoping to be there in time for my 'see you later' hug, but the Doors started opening when I was around halfway there. I finished my apple, tossing it to the ground before sprinting to catch up with the other Runners, who were already leaving. I was turning the corner when I looked back to wave at Newt, but he either ignored it or didn't see. For the sake of my sanity, I hoped it was the latter.

After a while, Minho spoke. "Hey, Y/N. What's up?"

"...The sky?" I replied, smirking at my horrible attempt at a joke.

"No klunk, Sherlock," replied Minho, glancing at me like as if I was dumb. "I meant, what's wrong?"

I shrugged. "Nothing, why'd you ask?"

He snorted. "You think I'm dumb enough to believe that pathetic excuse?"

"Frankly, yes I do."

He put his hand over his heart as well as he could without running. "I'm offended that you would think that lowly of me."

I didn't reply and we lapsed into a comfortable silence again. We stopped only for lunch, and we got back with a half hour or so to spare before the doors closed. As we were about to turn the last corner, I tripped and scraped a somewhat big gash down the side of my leg. I winced and pulled myself up again, jogging over to Minho who'd stopped a few feet in front of me.

"That looks kinda serious. You should probably get that checked with the Med-Jacks. I can do your map for today."

"I'm fine, Minho. I'll finish my map and then go over to Clint and Jeff."

"No, you really should go to the Med-Jacks first. If Newt finds out I let you do your map without getting checked by the Med-Jacks, I think that would be the end of my day- for good."

I rolled my eyes. "So the only reason you want me to not map is so you don't get into trouble with Newt?"

"Well, yeah. Have you seen that shank when he's upset? I'd rather take my chances getting trapped out in the maze with the Grievers than in here with an angry lizard."

I shook my head and jogged to the Med-Jacks. I got lucky and didn't see Newt at all. He was probably still working or eating dinner.

Clint cleaned out the scrape and wrapped it in a bandage, and then I could finally go eat dinner. I rushed to the kitchen and took the last serving of food and went to sit by Minho who was already eating. Newt and Alby were finishing up, and I took my spot next to Newt.

"Hey Y/N," Newt greeted. Minho looked up, acknowledging my presence, and returned to his food.

I rested my head on Newts shoulder, wrapping my arm around his waist.

"What's this for?" He chuckled, wrapping his free arm around me.

"I'm tired, and I tripped out in the maze," I whined, showing him my bandage.