Seven

"Yeah. Who's asking?" Dominic questioned the man. The man was tall, about 6'1, with dark brown hair and hazel eyes. He pulled out a badge and showed Dominic. It read; Federal Bureau of Investigation. The agent's name was also on the badge: Cory Wade. Dominic wanted to silently curse. He sighed and the FBI agent put his badge back. "What can I do for the FBI?" he asked.

"We want to take over the case. We need your files and case notes." Cory told him.

"How about we work the case together?" Dominic suggested. He looked around and noticed that Kelly had walked away. He didn't blame the woman. She'd dealt with the FBI before. It wasn't pretty.

Cory gave Dominic a look. "And why would we do that?" he asked.

"I have family and friends of his waiting for updates on this case." he snapped. "And you taking over the case isn't going to help them."

Cory sighed. Did he really want to take over this investigation? No. He didn't. But he was ordered to and he could not disobey an order. If he did, it could cost him his badge.
"Excuse me. I have a phone call to make." Cory told him and walked away.

Dominic took that moment to pull out his phone and call Danny. "Yo," Danny answered.

"FBI's here," Dominic told him.

"Crap." the boy said. "They want to take over the case?" he guessed.

"Yeah." Dominic sighed once again. He didn't want to hand over the case for Lexi's sake. But did he really have much of a choice? He didn't know. Dominic looked up as he saw Cory come back over toward his desk. "Gotta go. Get over here," he ordered.

Dominic hung up as Cory came over. "Called my director. We can work the case together as long as it's okay with your chief." Cory said.

"He'll be fine with it," he growled.

***

The server brought Lexi and Mini their order and hurried off once again toward the back of the small restaurant where the two had gotten breakfast. It felt weird to Mini that she wasn't the one doing the serving. But it was a nice break. And she enjoyed hanging out with Lexi.

Lexi's chemotherapy was slowly working and it was a miracle in itself. Lexi didn't think it would work, and neither did the doctors. But everyone was glad that it was working. Lexi had so much she wanted to do before she died. But if she gets into remission, it could change everything.

Mini looked up at Lexi who hadn't begun to eat her food. She had gotten the order of pancakes and they were big. "Are you alright?" Mini asked.

Lexi nodded and started to eat her pancakes. While she ate she made a quick plan for her day. She needed to check in with Dominic, she had to go to a doctor's appointment, and she promised Mini she'd help with the remodeling of Macie's café.

"How's the case going?" Mini asked her friend.

Lexi sighed before answering, "it's going. Dominic still hasn't found any leads yet. Neither have I. It's a dead end." Lexi wanted justice for Alex, but at the rate, they were going, it would soon end up in the police cold case division. Lexi couldn't let that happen. If it ended up in cold cases, no one would solve it.

Cold cases would just sit there. No one would take the time to solve it. And it would be the end of that case. No justice, no closer, no nothing. Lexi had dealt with cases like that when she was on the hunt for a story. She couldn't live with the possibility of there being some trace of evidence and no one finding it.

The dirty cops of the department didn't help. They just looked the other way and got their payday. They didn't care. If they were taking bribes, they should've never become a cop.

Lexi's phone started to ring and she picked it up. "Hello, Lexi Cole speaking," she told the person on the other end.

"Hey, it's Dominic. Could come by the station in a bit?" he asked. She chuckled slightly as she remembered that was already on her plan of things to do today.

"Sure, I was already planning on coming by. I'll see you soon," she said and hung up. Mini gave the woman a look as Lexi put her phone back. "Dominic," Lexi answered simply.

"He has your phone number?" Mini asked curiously.

Lexi gave her friend a glare at what she was implying. Sure Dominic was nice looking. A lot of cops and other people had her number. Or well they found it. She was a reporter. When people needed to talk to her they found her number.

Lexi figured Dominic didn't want anything romantic to do with her. She had nothing special, she wasn't drop-dead gorgeous, but she was pretty.

Besides who would want to date a dying woman?