Twelve

Lexi walked up to Dominic's car as he got out to greet her. She wore some jean pants, with a white and black sweater and a black hat that went over her ears.

"Lexi." he greeted her with a smile.

She smiled back and handed him the files that had Alex's business information. "I hope this is everything," she told him. "Alex had a lot of business over the years."

Dominic admired her straightforwardness. He admired the woman in general, she was doing everything possible before or even if she died from her cancer. She had an amazing career and friends. Her mother and father were dead. She lost contact with aunts and uncles after her mother died.

Dominic looked at her for a moment. Her winter blue eyes looked tired so did her face. He figured she didn't get much sleep last night.

He took the file, turned, and put it in his car. "Thanks. What kind of tacos do you want? I'm buying." he grinned.

"I like the eggs, bacon, and potato ones. They're like heaven," she said happily. Dominic chuckled lightly as he ordered their tacos. The tacos came out pretty quickly and soon the two were walking down the sidewalk toward the park.

"What are your plans for Christmas?" Dominic asked her.

She didn't know how to answer. She hadn't taken much thought to what she would do. She usually would work or go to her work Christmas party. She never did anything fancy. "I don't know. Probably work," she told him.

"That's no way to spend Christmas, Lexi," he said as they stopped. Lexi looked into his pine green eyes. She felt like she could stare into his eyes all day.

"I do it every year," she told him and she quickly looked away from his eyes. She looked down at the ground and then looked back up to face the man.

"Well, we should change that." He said to her with a grin.

The woman only looked at him in surprise. She didn't know if he was joking or not. She wanted a normal Christmas for once. And she hoped that Dominic would be the one to give her a normal Christmas.

"I'd like that." She smiled at him and the two continued to walk toward the park.

***

Lexi enjoyed the time she spent with Dominic. But she had work to finish. And she knew he did too.

She and Dominic had enjoyed the park. They laughed and talked about life. Dominic had invited her to the police Christmas party that would happen on Christmas Eve.

They enjoyed walking around and talking about life. Dominic had told her stories about Renee and her family. The trouble the two would get into.

Dominic had told her about Renee's little boy and how he hoped she could meet him and Renee's husband at the police Christmas party.

Lexi grabbed the door handle of her office. As she did she felt like something was off. She couldn't place it. She slowly opened the door and she found her office ransacked.

She quickly grabbed her phone and dialed Dominic's number.

**

When Dominic saw the caller ID, he got worried. What had happened? Ideas rushed through his mind as he picked up the phone and answered.

He was able to tell what Lexi was trying to get out. She sounded terrified. What could someone want with her?

Dominic slammed on the breaks as he got to her office. He ran into the large building and ran past the receptionist, holding his badge up as he ran. The receptionist was going to stop him, but she soon saw his badge and paged security.

Dominic got to the eighth floor where Lexi was. She was sitting on the floor near her office door. Security had beaten him there and they were helping Lexi get up.

He walked up to the door of her office and opened it. Who would go after Lexi? she didn't know anything. He turned to one of the security guards. "Make sure this room is secure. No one in, unless it's me or Detective Daniel Bull." He ordered.

The guard nodded and stood near the door. Dominic walked over to Lexi. "Why me? I don't know anything." She asked with terror in her voice.

"I don't know, Lexi. But I promise we are going to stop this." He promised her.

She gave him a pleading look. "You sure?" She asked, her beautiful winter blue eyes staring right into his pine green ones.

"Yes." He told her with a small smile.