Nine

Lexi smiled as she went down the stairs. She had just been asked out for the first time in two years. She'd dated in the past of course. But did she want to get hurt like last time? Dominic didn't seem like that kind of type. But he was also a cop. She also figured he was breaking protocol by asking her out. She was still a suspect.

He could get killed on duty. And that's what scared Lexi the most. Dominic had just lost his partner; Renee Ryan. The two had grown up together. That's what made their partnership together as cops, strong. They trusted each other. They trusted that the other would take care of the other.

Lexi felt bad for the man. Losing someone that close to him, hurt. Renee had also left behind a baby boy and husband. Lexi had seen pictures of the little boy with Renee, the little boy was so happy to be with her. It hurt Lexi just thinking that the boy would grow up without a mom now.

Lexi walked out of the police station and started for her car. When she got there she searched for her keys and got in.

***

Cory Wade watched as Lexi left the building. He soon turned to look at Dominic who had a small grin on his face. He liked Lexi. Cory didn't blame the man. She was sweet and pretty. But he was breaking protocol by doing so.

He changed his train of thoughts back to the case. If Lexi didn't know anything, what did they have to go on? Chicago Police went through Alex's apartment and his offices. But nothing could be found.

Cory was sure that Dominic would do anything to help Lexi find her friend's killer. But if they didn't find anything soon, the case would go down the drain.

Cory then looked over at Dominic. He was staring at a picture on his desk. Cory looked at the picture. It was him and a woman, they both were wearing Chicago Police uniforms. Cory wanted to ask who she was, but if she was someone didn't want to talk about, he didn't want to press him.

"Who is she?" he asked.

"My best friend. Renee Ryan. She died a few weeks ago." He told Cory. "She was my partner too. We grew up together." He added with a slight smile.

She must've been the cop that died and was all over the news. When Dominic said Renee Ryan, it clicked in Cory's head. He had seen it everywhere he went.

The young woman had a son and husband. Cory figured that the boy was about a year old. "It was all over the news. I'm sorry." Cory told him.

"Ever since she died, everyone has thought that life goes on. 'You'll see her in heaven,' 'she's in a better place.' I hear it all the time. But what I hear the loudest is her voice playing in the back of my head, saying it was going to be okay. I promised her I was going to get her out of there. I promised, Cory. And I broke that promise to her." Cory saw a tear go down his face.

He didn't think Dominic actually took the time to process what had happened. Cory stayed quiet as Dominic sat in his chair and silently cried.

***

Lexi had made it home. She was tired and needed some sleep. Her small apartment was on the top floor and the apartments didn't have elevators, so she had to walk.

She knew she could afford a house, but what would she do with it? she was living by herself. She didn't have any siblings so she didn't have nieces or nephews to stay with. She accepted it and enjoyed the quiet she got around the apartment.

She had a lot to do tomorrow. She needed to finish her article on the dirty cops in the police. Bob wanted her to finish it before next month. And then she had her lunch date with Dominic.

She was definitely looking forward to that. He was a good cop and a good man. She knew he must be hurting every time he mentions Danny's name instead of Renee's.

She wanted him to know she was there for him, to talk or just to sit with.