Eight

Lexi entered the police station. She walked over to the welcome desk and told the officer she was here to see Dominic. The officer gave her a look before letting her up.

She quickly made her way up the stairs and started toward Dominic's desk. She saw another man beside the desk, she didn't recognize him. But by the look, she saw Dominic have on his face, she knew he didn't like him.

She walked over and Dominic got up. "Lexi," he started. "Meet FBI Special Agent Cory Wade," he told her.

Lexi looked up at Cory. She smiled at the man and held her hand out for him to shake. He shook it. "Nice to meet you, Cory. I'm Lexi Cole. I'm a reporter here in Chicago."

Cory smiled back at her. "You too, miss Cole."

"What brings you to Chicago?" she asked.

"I'm here to take over the Alex Gordon case." He replied.

She glared at Cory and then Dominic. "Is he serious?" she asked him.

Dominic hesitated. Did he want Lexi to know the answer to her question? But she also had the right to know if the FBI was here to take over her dead friend's case. "It is." He told her. "But calm down. He talked to his boss and we can't work the case together. I'll still be involved." He smiled at her.

The relief on her face was visible. She nodded a thank you. She was thankful Dominic would still in involved with the case. But she knew that if he didn't find any solid evidence to keep the case opened he would have to turn it over to the cold case division.

Cory looked at two. Why did Lexi care if he took over the case? The relief on her face just made Cory even more confused. Did she know Alex? If she did, he needed to question her for his case report. "Did you know the victim?" Cory asked her without thinking.

Lexi looked back over at him. "Yes. I knew Alex. I helped him start his business, we went to high school together." She replied. Cory wrote down what she said. "If you're going to ask questions, do it now." She hissed.

Cory looked up at her with surprise. Of course, he didn't blame her. He figured she had been asked enough questions about Alex. "No. I'll just get Dominic's questions." He told her. She had already been through enough. She didn't need more.

"Thank you."

"Your welcome." He told her.

Dominic looked at her. "Lexi, I had a question for you." He said. "Could you get me Alex's employee records for his business?"

She gave him a small smile. "Sure. Give me by tomorrow?" She asked him.

"I have a few things to do tomorrow in town if you'd like to join me for lunch?" He told her.

Did he just ask her on a date in front of Cory? It took her by surprise but she looked at him and answered. "Sure," she replied with a smile. "Where do you want to go?"

"I was thinking Mexican tacos."

"Sounds good. I'll see you tomorrow." Lexi smiled. She turned to Cory who had a shocked look. "Nice meeting you Agent Wade." she turned and walked away and down the stairs once again.