Chapter 2

Days turned into weeks and still, Ford is trapped and gone in that portal. Stan tried almost non-stop to activate it again. Only stopping to care for Isabel which to his surprise isn't a lot.
One morning Stan opened the fridge forgetting about what was inside. "Yeesh, I have to remember to move these," he whispered looking at glass jars full of what he believes to be specimens.
"Uncle Stanley I'm hungry," Isabel says pulling at the bottom of his shirt
Stan looked in the cabinets and found they were out of food. He knew he was going to have to make a trip to the store. He sighs, closing the doors.
~
Stan decided he needed to take Isabel with him to the store. He smiled at how cute and innocent she looked, looking out the passenger window. Finally, they got to the small supermarket, he grabbed a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread fitting them into a basket while Isabel followed admiring the new area.
While in the line a woman behind him cooed at Isabel. She giggled, hiding her face in Stan's pant leg.
"Sir, Your daughter is so precious."
"I...Um, thank you," Stan replied nervously as Isabel holds his leg tighter smiling
"Just the bread and milk, there, stranger?" the elderly female cashier asked then rang it up "That'll be two dollars."
Stan looks into his pockets and pulls out a sugar packet, a paper clip, and a peso
"Hey, that's no stranger." A person says behind him
"That must be the mysterious science guy that lives in the woods!"
A crowd gathers around the two. Stan shakes his head "Uh, n-no, no. You've got the wrong guy." he tells them Pulling his hood tighter
"I've heard strange stories about that old shack. Yeah! Mysterious lights and spooky experiments."
"Gosh, I'd pay anything to see what kind of shenanigans you get up to in there."
"Oh, me too! Do you ever give any tours?"
"No. Really I- " he pauses looking at his hand then Isabel, then sighs "Yes, I do give tours! Ten... nah-no... fifteen bucks a person!"
The crowd cheers and holds up money. Stan's eyes widen astonished
"Sir! What did you say your name was, you man of mystery?"
"Oh, uh, Stan...ford. Stanford Pines."
Isabel looked up at him confused

~

After the so-called tour. As Stan sees the people out, Isabel walked over pulling on his pant leg "Why did you lie to them, Uncle Stanley?"
"I wasn't lying. I was just exaggerating a bit," he answered shutting the door
"That sounds like lying and Daddy always said lying is wrong."
Stan sighed, kneeling "Listen sometimes we need to bend the truth for...the greater good."
Isabel thinks for a moment "So it's alright if it helps others?"
Stan smiled ruffling her hair "Yeah, sure kid. Now let's get you something to eat."

Later that night while Stan was putting Isabel to bed, she asked him an unexpected question.
"Uncle Stanley, Can I ask you something?"
"You just did, squirt."
"Uncle Stan." She groans but smiles
Stan chuckles, kneeling "Sorry, What's on your mind kiddo?"
"Um," Isabel nervously played with her blanket "You're not gonna leave, are you?"
Stan stares at her surprised, "Where'd this come from? Someone tell you that?"
"No one did it's just a feeling,"
"Well, I'm not going anywhere anytime soon."
"You promise?"
He smiled "Yeesh, kid of course I promise. You can't get rid of me that easy." He chuckles ruffling her hair "Now time for bed."
Isabel smiles, yawning, settling down. This made Stan chuckle, he tucks her in, leaning over, kissing her forehead. "Sleep tight, pumpkin."
"Night uncle Stanley, I love you." She says with a yawn before falling asleep
As Stan watched her sleep for a brief moment, he realized how much he cares for this little girl. Although, he knows that when Ford comes back he won't be able to keep his promise. That is if he can manage to get him back.