Chapter 9

Isabel crawls out of the cart and quickly hides in the shadows. Watching the twin standing up against the gnomes Isabel wondered what was going on. 'I don't understand why the gnomes are after the kids. They usually keep to themselves in the forest.' She watched as Mabel accepted a ring from Jeff. He leaned in to kiss her, but Mabel pulled out the leaf blower, toppling the gnomes in her path. She watches as Dipper and Mabel talk then hug and pat each other.
"Kids!"
"Bella" They run over to her
"That was amazing but what were they?"
"Gnomes."
Isabel tries to look surprised and confused at the answer "Gnomes I don't... why were they after you kids?"
The two explain what has happened leaving out Dipper's discovery of the journal and its involvement.
"Weird, you kids were very brave. But I don't think we can tell Stan. I feel he wouldn't... believe us."
The twin looked at each other then nodded. "Ok"
She smiled a little surprised at them "Alright how about we get inside."

The twins walk into the Mystery Shack. Isabel stays back looking around feeling an oddly familiar presence. She shakes it off then walks inside as Stan begins to the twins "Uh, hey! W-wouldn't you know it? Um, I accidentally overstocked some inventory, so, uh... how's about each of you take one item from the gift shop? On the house, y'know?"
"Really?"
Dipper folds his arms "What's the catch?"
"The catch is do it before I change my mind, now take something."
With that Dipper and Mabel Look around at items. Dipper picks up a blue pine tree hat from one of the shelves and looks in a mirror "Hmm. That oughta do the trick!" He says to himself
"And I will have a..." Mabel Grabs an item from a box, hides it, and twirls around "A grappling hook! Yes!"
"Wouldn't you rather have, like, a doll, or something?" Stan asks her
She fires the grappling hook up at the ceiling; it catches and pulls her up "GRAPPLING HOOK!" She shouts louder this time
"Fair enough!"
"Alright, you two go get cleaned up before dinner."
Isabel smiles as she watches the twins run up the stairs then turns to Stan "That was nice of you. letting them have something."
"Like I said I overstocked on inventory."
She just chuckled walking towards the kitchen

~

Later that night Isabel sits at the kitchen table writing in an old-looking book similar to the journals smiling.
"What'cha got there, Bella?"
"Oh it's some journal I found a while back about me that dad seems to have started; and that I've been basically using as a journal to give him an idea of what's been happening since he's been gone. If you want you can read it."
Stan smiles " maybe some other time. The kids were acting strange tonight you won't know why would you?"
"Nope, they are twelve remember? Have you forgotten how I was at that age?"

Before Stan could reply, there's a crash upstairs then Dipper and Mabel Laughing then Mabel saying grappling hook.
Isabel chuckled "You two better be getting to sleep up there!"
"We are, night Bella," they shout back
Isabel shakes her head stretching "You going to the basement?"
"Yeah."
"Would you like company?"
"Bella I've told you don't need to go down every night when you've been up early out."
"I don't every time besides I can't sleep. There's also still have some ciphers I haven't crack and old text to figure out." She starts gathering up the journal "Besides we can get more done working together" She walks out before Stan could comment