Demanding to be Noticed

Season 1 Episode 1 - Diamond of the First Water

Berkeley Square. The sixth of April 1813.
With both the Gillingham and Sinclair
families presenting their eldest daughters
this morning, Berkeley Square is seen
to be bustling with anticipation.

The sixth of April 1813 was to be the start of the social season. A day in which the marriage-minded gentlemen of the ton were able to observe the debutantes entering society that year and then call on their favoured choices. It was said that a lady who received no callers on the first morning after the presentations was likely become a spinster. Therefore, it is essential that every lady impresses.

Upon exiting her home, Beatrice spotted Matilda boarding her carriage across the square. Locking eyes the two girls waved at one another, making a silent promise that they would meet once they reached the palace.

Matilda was Beatrice's first and dearest friend, since their country estates were quite close to one another. Once they discovered this, the two women regularly met with one another, playing in the vast lands surrounding their homes. On the eve of Beatrice's eighteenth birthday, the women made a vow to one another, to only marry if they found their love match. Wanting nothing more than for their children to be happy, their parents agreed to this, swearing to provide for their daughters should they choose to become spinsters.

***

When her carriage halted in front of the palace's doors, Beatrice all but leaped out, eager to reunite with her best friend. She noted the vast array of carriages that lined up in front of the palace. Many families departed from them, preparing themselves for the start of the social season.

For today is the day London's marriage-minded
misses shall be presented to Her Majesty
the Queen.

"Beatrice dear, you must be seen to be elegant. I do not want you running around like a child." Her mother scolded, a slight smile on her face as she did so.

If they were anywhere else Esther would have permitted it, however in the eyes of society, Beatrice would need to act 'ladylike'. "You can find Matilda once we enter the palace."

Hearing this calmed Beatrice down, slightly. "We must make haste then mother, I want to see her before our presentations."

"Very well. We shall see you later then Percival." Esther said, redirecting her attention to her only son.

"Goodbye mother." He replied. After giving her a short kiss on the cheek, he turned to his sister. "Good luck Bea, you shall be needing all the luck you can get if you are to impress."