I Could Ruin You

Season 1 Episode 1 - Diamond of the First Water

The season's opening ball at Danbury
House is a most highly sought-after
invitation indeed. For every darling
debutante from Park Lane to Regent
Street knows, if anyone can throw a crush
of a party -- it's Lady Danbury.

Upon entering the ball, Beatrice marvelled at the lavish decorations on the walls. White flowers could be seen in all directions, perfectly framing the fireplaces and filling out any empty corners. As Beatrice observed the room, she caught sight of Lady Danbury. She had not seen her in a month since there had been little time for her to visit Witley Court. Lady Danbury was much too busy planning for this very event.

Beatrice tugged at her brother's arm, desperate to go over and speak to the woman. "I think it is only right we go and greet our host." Percival immediately agreed considering he was eager to see Lady Danbury too.

"Good evening, Lady Danbury." Beatrice mused as they approached the woman from behind.

Turning around, Lady Danbury caught sight of the Sinclair siblings. It was no secret that the woman had a strong attachment to the two and she was arguably even more excited to greet them as they were her.

"Good evening, Lord Sinclair, Miss Sinclair" she greeted, flashing then a dazzling smile. "It has been much too long; I have found myself dreadfully missing your company."

"As have I" Beatrice replied. "We must meet soon to discuss our latest book. I already finished Romeo and Juliet a week ago and I must say I am desperate to hear your thoughts on it."

During Beatrice's teenage years, the two had formed a sort of book club. Lady Danbury would lend Beatrice a book from her library, and they would then discuss their opinions of it. As Beatrice entered adulthood and the two had exhausted almost all the books in Lady Danbury's library, they had begun reading the books in the Sinclair's libraries too.

"Indeed. Can I expect you tomorrow? We could share our thoughts over a spot of afternoon tea?"

"Of course, Lady Danbury." Beatrice was overjoyed at this news, seeing as she would get to see her friend again.

Lady Danbury turned her attention to Percival. "Now my boy you must tell me, is this the year I may finally see you married?" She pried, eager to know if the man was finally to find a wife.

"All in due time, Lady Danbury" he assured. "Once I find the woman I wish to spend my life with, I shall then get married." Percival was reluctant to marry yet. After seeing the love his parents shared for one another, he refused to marry someone who was any less than perfect for him.

"Very well then." She turned towards Beatrice, hooking her arm around the girls to signal that she would be stealing her away. "Now you, Lord Sinclair shall go find a woman to dance with, whilst I take Miss Sinclair with me."