Stay

Season 1 Episode 3 - Where He Belonged

It was almost midnight. Whilst most of London could be found asleep in their beds, Anthony Bridgerton was still wide awake. The viscount sat alone in his study, attempting to tackle his households accounts.

The very action instilled a deep sense of sadness within him. This role had been his for years, yet he felt as if he was an imposter in his own study. It should be his father in this seat, not him. He would have completed such a menial task with ease. He would not have struggled as Anthony did. Casting his gaze to Edmund's pocket watch beside him, Anthony wished that his father was still alive. 

Hearing his mother enter the room, he quickly cast his gaze back to the accounts before him. Violet walked towards her son's desk, paper in hand. "Will you be joining us at tomorrow night's ball, Anthony?"

"I have accepted the invitation." He bluntly answered, not looking up from his page.

Violet held out the paper in her hand, intending on giving it to Anthony. "Perhaps you might cast your eye over this before the event then."

He finally looked up at his mother, confused on what matters could be so urgent at this time of night. "What is this?" Anthony questioned. He took it from his mother's hand, scanning over the writing.

"These are names." Violet declared. "Fourteen to be exact. Fourteen single, eligible young ladies, all from excellent families." Anthony's face soured upon hearing that, frustrated with his mother meddling in his affairs once again.

"I shall consider your suggestions. Thank you." Anthony lied. He had absolutely no intentions of using the list that was created for the sole intention of finding him a viscountess.

"Might I suggest working your way down from the top." A smug smile was present of Violet's face, knowing exactly who was first on the list. Scouring the names, Anthony found that Beatrice Sinclair was the name his mother was referring to.

The man's eyebrows furrowed and a frown formed on his lips as he realised his mothers intentions. "I have no intentions of courting Miss Sinclair, Mother. As I have told you many times before, she is a nuisance."

Violet did not believe what her son was saying at all. It was clear to her that Beatrice and Anthony would be a perfect pairing, even if they could both not see that yet. "You must not ignore matters of the heart."

An unamused chuckle left the viscounts lips. "These delusions must end mother. My heart is with no one. Even if it was, it certainly would not be with Miss Sinclair." He looked back down towards his work, attempting to amend the records once again.