Complete Opposites

Season 1 Episode 1 - Diamond of the First Water

Looking in the mirror, Beatrice prepared herself for the events ahead. For today was when her potential suitors would begin to call on her. She examined the pale pink material of her dress, marvelling at how much it complimented her skin tone. Madame Delacroix was certainly a fine dressmaker indeed. Her hair was neatly styled, having spent an hour with her maid pinning it up, ensuring it perfectly framed her face.

Beatrice was not particularly hopeful that many gentlemen would call on her this morning. Marina Thompson's entrance seemed to cause quite the stir and with Daphne Bridgerton being named the Queen's Diamond too, the potential suitors left for the rest of the Ton seemed limited. Having few suitors should be rather desirable for the woman, seeing as she was in no dire need to marry, however this only meant those who would turn up would likely be incredibly dull.

Matilda too seemed to be having a similar dilemma across the square at the Gillingham residence. The girl sat drinking her tea in the drawing room, waiting for anyone to arrive. Despite receiving a compliment from the queen, she presumed she would be unlikely to receive many guests. In fact, the girl would rather receive no calls than have the men she danced with last night call on her. They were so unbelievably boring that she doubted she would be able to sit and speak to them for the entire morning. She would probably fall asleep, waking up to find herself in a nightmare all over again.

***

As the doors of the drawing room drew shut, the last guest of the day departing her home, Matilda let out a large sigh. Her previous thoughts had been quite correct as she had only received three visitors, the men she had danced with at Lady Danbury's ball. As expected, they had all been incredibly boring. She still did not care to remember any of their names. The men all seemed to be rather self-absorbed, speaking only about themselves and their wealth. They likely only saw Matilda as a shiny trophy for them to parade around, not even caring to ask her anything about herself. She was certain she would accept no visitors tomorrow, unwilling to sit through another day hearing about other's achievements and inheritances.

Beatrice's morning had been not too dissimilar to her dearest friend's. She had had around five suitors, each more boring than the one before them. To her dismay, Lord Blackmore did not make an appearance, so she was stuck in tremendously treacherous talks with men she had never seen before. None of them even seemed remotely interesting, instead rather boastful and arrogant. But one could never be as arrogant as a certain Bridgerton man.

She was pulled out of her thoughts by the door opening again, her footman entering. Her mother straightened up upon seeing him, curious to see who had arrived so late in the morning. "A caller for Miss Sinclair. A-"

Beatrice effectively silenced the man by holding up her hand. "Apologies Phillip but I am in no mood to greet anyone else. You may tell the gentleman that he is much too late." After the draining morning she had just experienced, Beatrice could not bear to spend another hour hosting another dull character.